PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CUPS server error

atentik
November 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
After upgrading to Karmic, my printer was nowhere to be found. I tried adding a new printer System->Administration->Printing... but whenever I do, I get the following error:

CUPS server error
There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-bad-request'

I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what the problem might be but to no avail. I reinstall cups but nothing... Any suggestions?

EJeanmaire
November 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
After upgrading to Karmic, my printer was nowhere to be found. I tried adding a new printer System->Administration->Printing... but whenever I do, I get the following error:
I spent about 2 hours trying to figure out what the problem might be but to no avail. I reinstall cups but nothing... Any suggestions?

What if you purge CUPS instead of just apt-get install --reinstall? Doing that will eliminate some of the configuration files which may be causing the issue.

atentik
November 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
What if you purge CUPS instead of just apt-get install --reinstall? Doing that will eliminate some of the configuration files which may be causing the issue.
Thanks but how do I do that?
I tried
sudo apt-get install --purge cups . The error stopped popping but the icon for adding new printer is inactive. Any suggestions?

atentik
November 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Nobody have any other suggestion?

atentik
November 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
This is terrible.... No Help at all?

grandtoubab
November 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
try to manage your printer completely with cups interface, in Firefox
http://localhost:631/

if requested give your standard user/password to CUPS

Delete it, create it again, then verify it is activated and shared

more help at http://www.cups.org/

zob
November 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Is your printer seen by lsusb?

lsusb

EJeanmaire
November 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks but how do I do that?
I tried . The error stopped popping but the icon for adding new printer is inactive. Any suggestions?

when CUPS is installed, type 'sudo apt-get purge cups'

atentik
November 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Is your printer seen by lsusb?

lsusb

Does not look like it. lsusb returns

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Any idea how to get it to be detected?

atentik
November 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
when CUPS is installed, type 'sudo apt-get purge cups'

Did that but there seems to be no substantial result. Ubuntu is frustrating... if you know what I mean.

zob
November 4th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I guess you'll have to reinstall cups after that one.

But nevermind I think there some strange problem in karmic, I've seen more people with usb hardware suddenly not showing up.
That's what were discussing in this thread. Come and join us.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311713

zob
November 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I have solved the problem I had with cups.

To get a faster boot with a dual-core machine I made a change in /etc/init.d/rc where i changed concurrency=none to concurrency=shell.
Setting it back to concurrency=none solved this problem and another problem I had with Grub.

atentik
November 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I have solved the problem I had with cups.

To get a faster boot with a dual-core machine I made a change in /etc/init.d/rc where i changed concurrency=none to concurrency=shell.
Setting it back to concurrency=none solved this problem and another problem I had with Grub.

Did you restart the computer after changing concurrency=none to concurrency=shell then changing it back or what?

zob
November 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
No wait. It's no a question of changing it. It's a question of NOT changing it.

It had, in an attempt to make my computer boot faster, changed the concurrency to shell. That was the problem. If I had never done that, I wouldn't have had a problem. You see?

Now, in my case, changing it back to 'none' fixed it. So if you haven't ever changed yours, it won't help you changing it, and changing it back. It might only bring you trouble.

Leave the CONCURRENCY=none.

atentik
December 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
My problem is STILL not SOLVED. Anybody know why I kept on getting

Request from "localhost" using invalid Host: field ""
This is annoying...