PDA

View Full Version : Building a Sweet Desktop

RChickenMan
November 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hey everyone,

As I am assuming is common with other forum members, my real-life friends are way too non-nerdy to care about my plans for a sweet desktop. So greetings, fellow Linux dorks!

Of course I should start by laying down the intent of the system. I would love to be able to flat-out say it's a Gaming PC, however the truth is I haven't played a video game in years, and even when I did play them a few years ago, it was never anything newer than Super Nintendo. I still often call my goal a "Gaming PC," as this is the type of performance I am looking for.

The truth is I just want a sweet computer to do my development work, casual web-browsing, occasional media viewing, etc. Think of it this way: I am on my bike for ninety minutes a day, minimum. I never have nor never do intend to race competitively on my bicycle. However, the point is, it's something I use a lot, so I want it to be a positive experience. Same thing with a computer. If the bicycle is my vehicle for the physical, urban world, then the computer is my vehicle for the virtual world. Either way, I want a sweet vehicle.

The nice video card won't go to complete waste, though. As a technology enthusiast, I must admit that I am somewhat curious to see what I can do with robust hardware, to see what video games are like these days, what kind of video editing and 3d rendering software there is out there for me to play with, etc. I have really only owned modest-performance laptops all of my adult life.

Anyway, here are the components I came up with, along with the rational for each component (each product sold on NewEgg, may swap out commodity parts when I actually order):

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz ($180)

Almost-top-of-the-line, but better value than Core i5/i7.

Motherboard - Asus M4A79XTD EVO ($85 Open Box)

I wanted a brand name, mainstream motherboard so that I can get advice when it comes to BIOS configuration and stuff for when I get down and dirty. Also, I did NOT want integrated graphics. Maybe I'm OCD, but it seemed redundant, given that I plan on having a real graphics card (plus a lot of AMD boards have ATI integrated GPUs, and as we all know, ATI has a warehouse on their campus where they torture and kill Linux users). I also wanted something medium-high end for expandability purposes.

Memory: WINTEC AMPX 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 ($125)

Fast, cheap, big... Whatever...

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA ($120)

Again, Fast, cheap, big. I have been told that a firmware issue from earlier this year is a source of a lot of bad rap for Seagate drives, but this has since been corrected...

GPU - SPARKLE SXX2601792D3S-VP GeForce GTX 260 1792MB ($220)

I am under the impression that most main-stream nVidia chips are well-supported in Linux. The GTX260 seemed to be the best bang-for-buck for a medium-high end card.

PSU - Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO 630W ($26)

I may have some dissenters here. The thing is rated at 26A on the 12V rail, so although it seems too good to be true (and I know to not give to much heed to the "marketing" power rating, i.e. the 630W), it does seem that this PSU would do the trick for my system.

Case - LIAN LI PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower ($80)

I wanted something with minimal plastic parts, and very non-descript (Sorry, no fancy gaming case with silly flashing lights and windows!). I like the idea of aluminum, but when it's time to actually order this stuff I may scale back a bit and go for something more economical in steel.

Alright y'all, there it is... My dream-but-realistically-specked PC, all at a very reasonable $836! So discuss! I'm sure there's tons of people on this forum who have much more experience (compared to my no experience) putting together performance PCs!

Be critical! Make fun of my decisions! This is, after all, a technology-related internet forum!

Vostrocity
November 6th, 2009, 02:33 AM
First of all, I blame the lack of replies to people's laziness to read long posts, no offense to you.

Anyways congratz on your build.

-CPU's alright, though i5's are under $200 now and I'm an Intel fanboy.
-Lots of RAM, big HDD, awesome.
-Nice GPU though that much memory seems overkill. I personally think normal Linux users should just get a $50 card (for Compiz) since I really can't think of any desktop/GUI Linux apps that make big use of graphics. On the other hand, if you dual-boot Windows for gaming then it makes sense.
-PPU's a good deal, though I haven't heard a ton of praise for LinkWorld.
-Case is waaay to generic, especially for that price.

Overall good job, your specs kill mine (I have a laptop..).

chris200x9
November 6th, 2009, 03:05 AM
First of all, I blame the lack of replies to people's laziness to read long posts, no offense to you.

Anyways congratz on your build.

-CPU's alright, though i5's are under $200 now and I'm an Intel fanboy.

from the bench marks I've seen a 2.2 ghz phenom 2 was little different than an i5 ... in some cases actually a tad faster.

PurposeOfReason
November 6th, 2009, 03:32 AM
A no-name PSU and a gtx260 were my only concerns. The 260 more because of the RAM it has which isn't needed until extreme resolutions and because it is dying.

00ber n00b
November 6th, 2009, 03:50 AM
How about an ssd for the OS?

Vostrocity
November 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I personally prefer Raptors to SSDs. Flash memory as main memory is still too pioneering imo.

00ber n00b
November 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM
a quality ssd will crush a raptor.

ad_267
November 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Looks pretty sweet to me, but I don't know a whole lot about hardware. Looking to get a new computer myself too though. Probably an i5 CPU, Nvidia 9600GT, 4G RAM, 500GB HDD for now, and looking at this motherboard: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MBDGBM0202 (Price is NZ$ btw). It's got USB 3.0 support :D. I'll probably come to my senses and get something a bit more reasonable though, but I reckon if you're going to spend a lot on one thing it should be the motherboard.

rfruth
November 6th, 2009, 05:04 AM
AMD x4 FTW !

Grifulkin
November 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Buying this stuff off of Newegg? My only thing is, no name powersupply and an NVidia card, I would personally go with ATI, more bang for your buck. I am an ATI/AMD fandboy. Love the processor though, wish I had the money for it at the beginning of the summer I would have one in my rig right now.

ad_267
November 6th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I would personally go with ATI, more bang for your buck. I am an ATI/AMD fandboy.

Your sig says otherwise!

I'm pretty happy with my Nvidia card. I'd be keen to get an ATI if the open source drivers were more mature though.

Grifulkin
November 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Your sig says otherwise!

I'm pretty happy with my Nvidia card. I'd be keen to get an ATI if the open source drivers were more mature though.

Yes I know, but if I knew then what I know now I never would have bought NVidia but I don't have the money to correct my mistake.

natedawg
November 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Honestly the only problem I see is the PSU. Go with a Corsair PSU and you will be good to go. I currently run a GTX260 card on my i7 machine and the thing kills! There is no game out right now that can top it out. So a GTX260 would be a good choice especially since the price is much lower these days (I got mine about 5 months ago). Plus I can tell you from experience that the GTX260 runs Ubuntu no problem. :)

edin9
November 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Plus I can tell you from experience that the GTX260 runs Ubuntu no problem. :)

So does a 5200, so that's not saying much.

3rdalbum
November 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
On AMD-based motherboards, you should buy memory in pairs as it's dual-channel. Only Intel Core i7 LGA1366 systems should have memory in threes.

The GTX260 is a good card, I use one myself. When I bought it, it was the price/performance sweet spot. Nowadays, you might be able to find a 275 for only a little more, so shop around.

DO NOT buy an ATI card. More trouble than it's worth. Nvidia's drivers don't suck like ATI's, and at least they support video decode acceleration, and at least you can play games and videos without turning off Compiz. ATI might be good on Windows, but not on Linux.

And don't waste your money on a no-name PSU. Even if it's only $26. Buy one from a major manufacturer. I have one of the Corsair 620w modular PSUs, they got fairly good reviews and you often see them in professional gaming machines. Your $26 PSU will blow up and cause $500 damage.

Lian-Li is a good name for cases from what I hear, but that case got bad reviews. It's definitely their cheapest. Either get a good Lian-Li (which will cost a lot) or look at the Antec Sonata range or the Antec P193 (or other in the series). Neither of those sorts of cases have agressive styling or over-the-top lights and fans. I'm in love with the P193 right now; the styling of it is quite subdued, but the side and top fans still say "I'm blindingly fast!".

You also didn't factor in the cost of a CPU cooler, and you'll also want to make sure that your case comes with a fan! (some don't). You could use the stock AMD CPU cooler which is free, but it will be noisy and won't allow much overclocking. I can't really advise on the best heatsink/fan combo for performance, but Noctua makes some excellent near-silent coolers.