PDA

View Full Version : Bought Windows 7 for $40 - already giving me a headache....

Maheriano
November 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
I run Ubuntu on all of my computers but my brother is just getting into Ubuntu and still dual booting. Mainly because of his Canon printer not working at all in Ubuntu, so I gave this to him to try out.

Anyway, I went onto the Microsoft website and they have the student pricing where you can download Windows 7 Home/Professional for $40CAD ($30 USD) from Digital River. I bought it and it gave me a .exe file to download along with the registration code. WTF? Okay.....so what you have to do is run this .exe file in another version of Windows and it'll download 3 other files which will install Windows 7 for you. Problem is the files they uploaded to the server are corrupt so they wouldn't work anyway......oh Microsoft, why do you do this to me?

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know there is student pricing for Windows 7 if you want to get it cheap and you have a university email address that qualifies. I also wanted to vent a little that Microsoft just cannot make anything easy and simple.

Warpnow
November 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
/me thinks its likely something is awry.

Is the first download perhaps a download manager that downloads the iso?

PatrickBoyle
November 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
I somehow doubt the files on Microsoft's server are corrupt. Sounds like a user error.

Good deal with student pricing, though.

quinnten83
November 2nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I somehow doubt the files on Microsoft's server are corrupt. Sounds like a user error.

Good deal with student pricing, though.

Nope, there were some issues with the student upgrade.
Also i think this be stupid, what if this is your first PC, where are you gonna get windows from to upgrade..
will it run in wine?

PatrickBoyle
November 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Wow. I stand corrected. http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/23/windows-7-student-upgrade-installer-not-working-for-many/

coolbrook
November 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
It sounds like the process started off very quickly. I thought they were verifying enrolment before issuing the software.

Maheriano
November 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Ya, it's a known problem with the download for Windows 7, my brother called Microsoft and then called Digital River. Digital River was upgrading their servers so they told him to call back in 4 hours for the new download link.

kavon89
November 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
I couldn't use the downloaded version because I didn't have Windows. I just used the CD key they give you in the e-mail and borrowed a Windows 7 disk.

You have to install Windows 7 twice to clean install with that upgrade key. Clean install, skip the cd key entry, "upgrade" that new Windows 7 install and enter the key during the upgrading.

pwnst*r
November 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
I run Ubuntu on all of my computers but my brother is just getting into Ubuntu and still dual booting. Mainly because of his Canon printer not working at all in Ubuntu, so I gave this to him to try out.

Anyway, I went onto the Microsoft website and they have the student pricing where you can download Windows 7 Home/Professional for $40CAD ($30 USD) from Digital River. I bought it and it gave me a .exe file to download along with the registration code. WTF? Okay.....so what you have to do is run this .exe file in another version of Windows and it'll download 3 other files which will install Windows 7 for you. Problem is the files they uploaded to the server are corrupt so they wouldn't work anyway......oh Microsoft, why do you do this to me?

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know there is student pricing for Windows 7 if you want to get it cheap and you have a university email address that qualifies. I also wanted to vent a little that Microsoft just cannot make anything easy and simple.

corrupt? sounds like a connection issue.

sim-value
November 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/23/windows-7-student-upgrade-installer-not-working-for-many/

Maheriano
November 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM

I already said it's a known issue with the download link, they have since fixed it. It's not a connection nor user issue.

He just messaged me, he's trying the download again.
But this thread is mainly to let people know you can get it for cheap if you have a school email account.

pwnst*r
November 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/23/windows-7-student-upgrade-installer-not-working-for-many/

ah, just today, got it. so not an MS issue.

Firestem4
November 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
I just did the download/upgrade last night. FYI people, you can do a Full installation with the upgrade from a CLEAN hard drive. The activiation works normally and there is no need to do any trickery like Vista: reinstalling Vista over itself again to get the activation to work.

My biggest problem was creating a bootable ISO but I found a great link/guide to creating one using oscdimg.exe and it created a working bootable ISO in like 2 minutes, =D

Skripka
November 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
I just did the download/upgrade last night. FYI people, you can do a Full installation with the upgrade from a CLEAN hard drive. The activiation works normally and there is no need to do any trickery like Vista: reinstalling Vista over itself again to get the activation to work.

Not here. The student Reg Code returns an error saying explicitly that the code is for "upgrades only, and not clean installs".

wilee-nilee
November 3rd, 2009, 12:04 AM
I am trying to download the upgrade, Digital River will give you a ISO link and or the .exe link. I am not able to get a good download, So I asked for a Hard copy of the DVD this is provided for 13$ more but I am still waiting from them for a link to this confirmation of purchase. I can't add it to the original order as it looks like I am trying to get 2 copies rather then 1. Now if you get this deal you are offered a long term 1 year download access for 5.95$, the basic download offer expires in 30 days. I am primarily a Linux user that is where I started from, but I have a new net-book that has 2 gigs of ram and the 1.6 atom chip and I had the Microsoft capability for W7 confirm I could run this on the net-book. Personally I am not finding any real experienced customer reps at Digital River, I have called them 6 times in the last 24hrs and all but one rep was able to read my purchase order and be of any help. I also think that the limitations of the student program, along with the new release and probably server slowness due to the new release and updates is a problem. we all have seen the problems with the servers on the Ubuntu release. Having started with Linux I am so used to having a ISO download easy and popping it in and installing that trying to accept the horrible service of Digital Rivers is difficult. You can't directly change your order on the phone and you can't talk directly to the department that will send you the link to add the DVD. When I was given the option of the ISO down load I was told it would take 5 minutes to arrive, so I waited after 4 hours I called back and got the same rep who claimed to have sent it 5 minutes previously that did not arrive until about 12 hours after requesting it. In the mean time on the 4th call I got the ISO link while on the phone long before the promised link. So buyer beware of the hassles at this point of getting what you pay for. The ISO can be transferred to a USB stick with several 3rd party programs and booted supposedly the .exe can be converted to a ISO then burned or put on a USB stick. Supposedly also the .exe which is executed from the live windows can with the custom install option be put in a clean partition for a fresh install. Whatever you do make sure you find out if your overwriting your original Windows program or upgrading and if you can upgrade. The home version theoretically can upgrade XP to W7 but the Pro version cannot. I don't really use windows but it is at the least nice to know how it works. So if any of you don't have the Digital River # it is 1-952-253-1234 this is the customer reps for a purchased product don't call them for information in general, and leave the line inaccessible for us that have actually bought the service.

wilee-nilee
November 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
So I finally received the link to getting the DVD for 13$ so any body who purchases the student upgrade if you are not given the option for a DVD copy then call the # in the post above and they will send you a link to buy it for 13$. So the down load with links to either .exe and or a ISO and the extended download 1 year and the DVD price was about 43$. Things are problematic with the downloads I think so a DVD seems like a better option, and as far as I know this can be a fresh install. The pro version can't upgrade XP so it only makes sense at least in my world that only a upgrade option is a anomaly, probably a improper install. You have to read the instruction to make it a clean install it is a custom install. This could also have been a corrupted download, I know I picked up 2 trojans during all the tries to download. I don't use the big name AV software there are some that my geek friend turned me onto that blow the big guys out of the water and they are free.

Maheriano
November 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Wall of death!!!!! Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Maheriano
November 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
So the download link is still dead and they can't seem to provide a new link for anyone to download it. Does anyone here know where I can get a Windows 7 Professional disc so that I can install it using my legally purchased key? Can someone here upload an iso to a server for me to download?

wilee-nilee
November 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
So the download link is still dead and they can't seem to provide a new link for anyone to download it. Does anyone here know where I can get a Windows 7 Professional disc so that I can install it using my legally purchased key? Can someone here upload an iso to a server for me to download?

Call the Digital River # and get a link to the 13$ dvd backup to add to your order. I have it ordered and am waiting for delivery, hoping I can install and have Karmic read the partitions for a fresh install of Karmic, I have never been able to figure out how to edit grub and grub2 is able to be edited but it seems like a hack sort of situation. sorry to hear that the download doesn't work as it has not worked for me in a .exe or iso format.

So Digital River offers a year access to the downloads for 5.95 and links to a .exe and iso's so I am going to get the DVD then eventually get a good ISO download so I have a released DVD back up and a backup of the backup, always be prepared is my motto.

wilee-nilee
November 5th, 2009, 08:58 AM
To update the Digital River order information , I was informed by a Customer rep that I only have 30 days to install the download, inspite of purchasing the 1 year download package. So I have sent the appropriate people a email about this since it makes no sense. The rep told me that I have a indefinite time to install via the DVD though sense I have the key, I also included this information in the email so I am waiting for confirmation of these two points. I am updating this so others may have a complete understanding of the contract of the student upgrade package, when I get an I answer I will post it.

The funny thing is that I am a Linux user that is where I started 3 years ago I am only buying this because it's cheap economically but in the attempted downloads and time waiting I could of fully download a Linux ISO and loaded all 5 of my different computer, LOL. For me windows is like playing the old Pong game compared to what Linux offers me. I know it has it's merits but I am not a gamer nor do I need any Windows native software. Just yesterday never having used vista I went to a friends house and cleaned all the viri out with some AV software my ubergeek friend turned me onto and set her up with a better running computer, there is a advantage to having good search skills for the internet and being a Linux user 1st.

mivo
November 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Also i think this be stupid, what if this is your first PC, where are you gonna get windows from to upgrade.. will it run in wine?

Most computers come with Windows. The offer is for students who already have Windows. If you don't, use Linux or buy a copy of Windows. It isn't really so hard. The deal is very good, so nothing to complain about. (I paid the regular price for my W7 Pro copy, since I haven't been a student for eighteen years. ;))

kio_http
November 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Canon printer not working at all in Ubuntu

I've got a Canon Pixma ip1800 printer that doesn't work refer to this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306191).

Maheriano
November 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Call the Digital River # and get a link to the 13$ dvd backup to add to your order. I have it ordered and am waiting for delivery, hoping I can install and have Karmic read the partitions for a fresh install of Karmic, I have never been able to figure out how to edit grub and grub2 is able to be edited but it seems like a hack sort of situation. sorry to hear that the download doesn't work as it has not worked for me in a .exe or iso format.

So Digital River offers a year access to the downloads for 5.95 and links to a .exe and iso's so I am going to get the DVD then eventually get a good ISO download so I have a released DVD back up and a backup of the backup, always be prepared is my motto.
I'm not paying $13 and waiting weeks for something that's their fault. They should make it a priority to get this fixed.

Anyway, someone on another forum pointed me to these downloads, not sure why they couldn't just give my brother these links when he phoned them earlier. These are direct links to the .iso files for anyone to download.

X15-65805 - Professional x64
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso
X15-65804 - Professional x86
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65804/X15-65804.iso

omar8
November 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM
The files were never corrupted. The issue was related to people who bought the 64bit version of Windows and were currently running the 32bit version, this was due to the fact Microsoft decided to release the installed in an .exe format. The 64 bit installer was of course a 64bit .exe meaning that anybody running a 32bit version of Windows would not be able to even run the installer.
Anyway, as you said you can download the ISOs that were uploaded or if you don't want to download another 3gb you can easily make an ISO using the guide on the Engadget page (I did this, took me about 5 minutes and it worked perfectly). Either way as you have said, the problem has been solved. Hopefully this makes it a bit clearer for anyone else having problems.

wilee-nilee
November 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I'm not paying $13 and waiting weeks for something that's their fault. They should make it a priority to get this fixed.

Anyway, someone on another forum pointed me to these downloads, not sure why they couldn't just give my brother these links when he phoned them earlier. These are direct links to the .iso files for anyone to download.

X15-65805 - Professional x64
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso
X15-65804 - Professional x86
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65804/X15-65804.iso

I am not happy about having to buy a DVD but I was informed by a customer rep that the down load install is a 30 day contract. So if you don't get a good download and can't install in 30 days a person would at the best get a refund and start over, So personally I like having a hard copy of every OS I run it just makes life easier it is not about blame for me it is ease of travel. I clicked on the x86 link and it is not downloading, so I hardly think as another person posted that things have been fixed. Getting the OS for a cheap price is all that I want I am not really a MS user but hey why not check it out for a few bucks. If you purchase the DVD you can install indefinitely.

Maheriano
November 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I am not happy about having to buy a DVD but I was informed by a customer rep that the down load install is a 30 day contract. So if you don't get a good download and can't install in 30 days a person would at the best get a refund and start over, So personally I like having a hard copy of every OS I run it just makes life easier it is not about blame for me it is ease of travel. I clicked on the x86 link and it is not downloading, so I hardly think as another person posted that things have been fixed. Getting the OS for a cheap price is all that I want I am not really a MS user but hey why not check it out for a few bucks. If you purchase the DVD you can install indefinitely.

Try the iso link I posted so you don't have to wait for the DVD.

wilee-nilee
November 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Try the iso link I posted so you don't have to wait for the DVD.

I did and it just sat dead, but I have a stopped; restart later downloads of the .exe and ISO sitting on the desktop.

I am going to go to the university today and see if their servers will work better then my personal DSL IP provider.

As I posted before my goal is to have the DVD from Digital River and another DVD I burn from the ISO, but I suspect this download ISO falls into the 30 day limitations of installing where as the purchased DVD doesn't.

I sent a email to the correct department at Digital river asking for confirmation on download time limits on installs in spite of buying a 1 year access to the downloads, and a confirmation of install of the OS purchased DVD not having this 30 day limit, still no response.

I am installing on a netbook so what I really want is the .exe so I don't have to buy a external DVD player right now, I have several other computer that will read a DVD so I can make a thumb install from the ISO or DVD on another computer.

Maheriano
November 7th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I did and it just sat dead, but I have a stopped; restart later downloads of the .exe and ISO sitting on the desktop.

I am going to go to the university today and see if their servers will work better then my personal DSL IP provider.

As I posted before my goal is to have the DVD from Digital River and another DVD I burn from the ISO, but I suspect this download ISO falls into the 30 day limitations of installing where as the purchased DVD doesn't.

I sent a email to the correct department at Digital river asking for confirmation on download time limits on installs in spite of buying a 1 year access to the downloads, and a confirmation of install of the OS purchased DVD not having this 30 day limit, still no response.

I am installing on a netbook so what I really want is the .exe so I don't have to buy a external DVD player right now, I have several other computer that will read a DVD so I can make a thumb install from the ISO or DVD on another computer.

Or use MagicDisc to mount the .iso file as a virtual CD drive. I do it all the time.

wilee-nilee
November 7th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Or use MagicDisc to mount the .iso file as a virtual CD drive. I do it all the time.

So at the university's web access I am down loading the .exe and the digital river ISO link they gave me and the one you posted. The schools set up is fast with all 3 going I am running at about 810 MiB download speed. Thanks for the reference to the ISO mount.

murderslastcrow
November 7th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I guess they think an updater would be more convenient than teaching someone how to burn a CD. If you have Windows XP I don't think the upgrade will work anyway (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's great that they're being nice to students. And now we'll have Windows all over our education institutions. It's similar to the Snow Leopard default upgrade pricing- I think that may be who they're competing with here.

wilee-nilee
November 7th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I guess they think an updater would be more convenient than teaching someone how to burn a CD. If you have Windows XP I don't think the upgrade will work anyway (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's great that they're being nice to students. And now we'll have Windows all over our education institutions. It's similar to the Snow Leopard default upgrade pricing- I think that may be who they're competing with here.

The home version theoretically can upgrade the pro version you can't in XP. You can make a clean install of either though in a clean partition, and you have the usual 60 trial period to try it out. In the end it is a replacement for whatever you had to begin with that is a legal version. So if you do a clean install you just have to remove the original system or not use it or whatever.;)

wilee-nilee
November 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Yipee the college web link did the trick I installed with the .exe and used the windows ISO-thumb to format my thumb drive. I haven't tried the key yet, but I have a 60 day trial and I did a fresh install in a partition formatted to NTFS with gparted from my live thumb of Karmic, After reinstalling Karmic Grub had W7 in it at reboot which when I click on W7 brings me to a choice of the still installed XP or W7. This was the pro version student upgrade, which can't upgrade XP. Just a cursory glance at W7 I notice it runs way faster then XP.

Edit; I also received a email from the MS store regarding the 1 year download I purchased they have extended this down load for a year this only cost 5.95 American.So if you can get to the right web access source the links Digital River gives you for a .exe or ISO work fine.