PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No GUI after install?

b//r0k3/n
November 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm really new to Ubuntu/Unix and just did my first install ever last night. I installed it onto one of my partitions formatted as Ext4 and mounted at / . After that, everything went pretty good, until I actually rebooted my machine to use it. After choosing Ubuntu in GRUB, it started up, flashed the little Ubuntu logo, and then booted into a command prompt/terminal-like mode and asked for my login and password. After entering it, it stayed like that...did I do something wrong during install or what?

Also, please, forgive me if some of the terminology isn't correct/this is just me being stupid as I'm pretty new to this stuff...so...yeah. Thanks guys! :)

ajgreeny
November 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Difficult to know what went wrong, but assuming you had a GUI from the live CD, if it was a live CD, try typing
startxwhen you have logged in to the command line interface, and if that does not get you running, tell us what error messages appear.

b//r0k3/n
November 2nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Difficult to know what went wrong, but assuming you had a GUI from the live CD, if it was a live CD, try typing
startxwhen you have logged in to the command line interface, and if that does not get you running, tell us what error messages appear.

Didn't work...error as follows:

21: /usr/bin/X11/X [0x80719c1]
Saw signal 11: Server aborting.
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
ddxSigGiveUp: re-raising 11

br0k3n@br0k3n-laptop: ~$

b//r0k3/n
November 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
bump

Raiju
November 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
do you have two video cards?

b//r0k3/n
November 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Nope, I don't.

Integrated graphics on a Toshiba laptop.

b//r0k3/n
November 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Here's what's happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARBORK3MBE4

b//r0k3/n
November 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Bump? Guys, I really need some help here...