PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Wubi installation failed.

ThomHurks
November 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hey all,

I previously installed 9.04 with Wubi and it worked flawlessly. I now wanted to install 9.10 in a clean Wubi install.

So, I removed wubi using the uninstaller and then installed Wubi from the 9.10 iso. The installer did its work fine and told me to reboot. That also worked fine and I got the whole Ubuntu installation wizard which it automatically executed. After this was done I needed to do a final reboot to boot into Ubuntu, this is where things go wrong. After I select Ubuntu in Windows' Boot Selector, Grub displays the error "Couldn't find Wubildr" or something like that and shows me a console.

I assumed it had to do with me not rebooting after removing Wubi and before installing Wubi again, so the Boot Selector got messed up or something. With the second attempt I removed Wubi, rebooted, installed Wubi again, rebooted, went through the Ubuntu install, rebooted again and .... it still shows the same error.

I would really like to try out the new Ubuntu, any help?

ThomHurks
November 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Wow, my thread went off the first page already. I guess kick is allowed since no response?

ThomHurks
November 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
And again.

Mark Phelps
November 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
You need to show more patience!! The general rule around here is to bump once every 24 hours -- not once an hour!

Are you running Wubi in Windows 7, or in Vista?

If it's Windows 7, you're most probably out of luck -- as the Wubi guide does not mention any support for anything newer than Vista.

ThomHurks
November 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
That's not possible. I ran 9.04 on Windows 7 for ages, so it does work with Win7 :) It's this new release that has a problem somehow.

Mark Phelps
November 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
That's not possible. I ran 9.04 on Windows 7 for ages, so it does work with Win7 :) It's this new release that has a problem somehow.
It's "not possible" for the Wubi Guide to mention nothing newer than Vista? Go read the guide again: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide%C2%A0#What%20Operating%20Systems%20are%2 0supported?

Not saying it won't work in Seven, just saying the Guide doesn't mention that it will.

ThomHurks
November 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
When I said "That's not posssible" I was referring to the fact that Wubi wouldn't work with Win7. It's quite possible that the Wubi guide doesn't mention Win7. Wubi is quite badly documented anyway. I tried to find some kind of help or support on their website but there's just a download button. They also don't have an IRC channel. How do I contact those guys?

ThomHurks
November 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Bumpy.