PDA

View Full Version : nokia n810 v. nokia n900

LeadHop
November 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
I've been seriously considering getting one of the two lately and i just wanted an opinion. i'm not a big tech guy, and the only fancy phone i've ever owned is the Envy2 (and that was free for renewing the contract). I understand that the n810 isn't a phone, but i know the n900 is. If i don't plan on using the n900 as a phone, am i just better off saving some bucks and going for the n810 on the n900 release or on black friday (whichever may come first)?

the n900 really appeals to me since it has a faster processor and a 5.0 megapixel camera (which is actually better than the hand me down digital camera i have), and the available sim card slot (which i'm not sure about?) would come in handy since i do take part in traveling. n900 just seems to be bursting with features... the only reason i'm looking towards the n models is because they have the full on qwerty keyboard instead of just the virtual one found in iphone/itouch, plus it's open source.

what do you think? i found a new n810 online for 250 and i'm just really tempted but i'm wondering if i should spring for the n900 as a birthday gift to myself...

m3topaz
November 5th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I've no opinion on the N810 but I have pre-ordered an N900. Why? As it is a phone, Nokia's 5Mp camera is about the best in the business and that counts for a lot. I've got an N95 and 5800 - the former is a good phone, the latter a really good value phone. I think the N900 might be a hybrid of the two!
The online video material of the N900 is pretty enticing, and I think it's a better deal than the N97 (which is overpriced). The only worry I have with the 900 is that it has the same battery as the 5800 and that might not be big enough. I would suggest that if you like music, Firefox, linux and a decent handset the 900 is worth a play - but unlike me try before buy to see if you can get on with it :-)

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 12:59 AM
m3topaz, are you in the US?

ssam
November 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
i had an nokia 770 and a n800. great devices. good for light weight web browsing, portable music player, offline wikipeida (aarddict), reading a pdf on a bus (laptop feels to bulky).

the faster CPU and the new software on the n900 look very good, so if you can afford it, its probably worth it. otherwise, you could pick up a n800/n810 pretty cheap, and if you like it get a n900 when the price comes down.

personally i wont be getting one as i have just got an openmoko phone. not sure whether i'll keep the n800 as well. nothing beats the n800 on storage, 2 full sized SDHC slots.

m3topaz
January 16th, 2010, 02:34 AM
No - I'm UK and now in possession of the N900...
I've ditched all my other phones - this is the one!