PDA

View Full Version : Jordan LoCo team needs suggestions

saif_held
November 2nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a member of the ubuntu Jordan team, the team's been inactive since almost a year and we're trying to get things started yet again, our admin might hand over the "leadership" to another recent member, n0ur, and me. Can you guys give us some tips how to get started? Anything general would be great!

Thanking you in advance :)

Bölvağur
November 2nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
it is difficult to begin.
make a postlist and try spam local tech forums.
perhaps have a late ubuntu 9.10 party and tell everyone to subscribe to your postlist.

n0ur
November 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Hello!

Nice ideas Bölvağur, I also think the "advertisement" maybe, or the way we plan and ask people to join has a very big role here. I think we shouldn't count on the fact that we think ubuntu rocks and should be used, and expect people to understand that right away.
I believe this is one of the things we should keep in mind as we do activities and invite people to join.

saif_held
November 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
The critical part is firstly getting people familiarized with the concept of open source, that in my opinion would be great as a beginning.

n0ur
November 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
You know you are so right Saif.

Most people don't think computer software of any kind is free, they think it's cheap - as they buy them illegally and don't even know it.

And when you say operating systems, you automatically mean Microsoft Windows of it's all versions or releases or whatever. [that happened to me while I was at the computer shop yesterday.]

What else.. I think educating people about the whole thing is gonna do them good and open up their minds to see new things.
To see that you can have more options, to do more than what [you currently use] can offer you.
That machine of yours can do a lot, and even a normal user can take more advantage of it while using the right software.
Things don't have to give you errors before working, you really don't need to worry about viruses or your antivirus expiration date, or worry you're doing something illegal, or simply be uneducated enough to know what you're doing.
I can say I totally learned new things about my machine as I started using ubuntu, and just to think it's all free, makes me love it even more.