PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DOA after 9.10 Upgrade

NHElnath
November 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
I did an upgrade (using upgrade manager) of my 9.04 system to 9.10 over the weekend. Unfortunately, now after boot it shows the logo for a few minutes and then goes into never-never land (and doesn't come back!).

The system runs fine with a Live CD. Is there something I can do short of doing a clean re-install of 9.10? And since I didn't follow my own good advice, there is some data on the machine that I don't have backed up...so at a minimum, is there a way for me to get back the data that was in the old (9.04) file system????

Hope somebody can help me, I'm not a Linux expert by any definition.

castorp
November 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Just a suggestion. You could use a life CD of ubuntu or Knoppix to access and save the data of your Karmic install.

NHElnath
November 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
I ran the Live CD version. I don't seem to have the access rights to get to the data that was stored.... I'm not sure how to get into the folders (mostly just on the two user desktops).

Better yet, is there a way to "fix" the install of the 9.10 Upgrade using a CD without overwriting all the data? If I do an install of 9.04 in the same partition will I kill the data?