PDA

View Full Version : Shipit Wont Ship Me It!

scottishbloke
November 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Just went to check the status of my order for a cd of karmic koala as i wont upgrade via update manager as you dont get the full features unless you know what your doing which i dont.

Anyway it went through then today i have a message there from shipit saying to either burn a cd which i cant do,upgrade via upgrade manager which wont give me ext4 and grub2,or become a member of something,high demand for karmic koala and they say ive had SEVERAL cds already,Well ive only hade 1 cd and that was for jaunty about a month or so ago,its not my fault there bringing out different flavours every 6 months.

Im not happy and ive had to go and buy yes BUY a cd off ebay.co.uk:(

fatality_uk
November 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297163

While Canonical's pockets are deeper than most Linux distro's, they are not unlimited. I totally agree with the stance they have taken.

Send me your address and I will post you a few CD's if you like if your internet connection can't handle the download of 650mb!

RiceMonster
November 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Can't you buy a CD from the Ubuntu store?

The Funkbomb
November 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
Does your computer support Boot from USB?

mivo
November 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
While Canonical's pockets are deeper than most Linux distro's, they are not unlimited. I totally agree with the stance they have taken.

I understand their reasoning and partly agree, but I do feel it will hurt the distro's popularity. Fewer "average users" will try it. The problem is also a bit self-inflicted, seeing how they previously allowed people to order 10, 50 or over 100 CDs.

Pasdar
November 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I understand their reasoning and partly agree, but I do feel it will hurt the distro's popularity. Fewer "average users" will try it. The problem is also a bit self-inflicted, seeing how they previously allowed people to order 10, 50 or over 100 CDs.
The problem is ubuntu users who have started collecting CDs for fun since its inception. See the topics about it... people think its fun to order the cds and put them on their desk to look at... i even warned people about that... but people said if they're offering then they must have the money to offer, lol.. how ignorant...

wersdaluv
November 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1297163

Send me your address and I will post you a few CD's if you like if your internet connection can't handle the download of 650mb!
That's the Ubuntu spirit! :)

ptrinder64
November 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
May not be exactly free, but if you can wait I'm sure Linux Format (next issue out mid-November) will have a cover CD with the distro on it in the near future. It's in all good newsagents (as the usual marketing goes - WHSmith is usually a safe bet).

Dragonbite
November 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Look for a LoCo Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList) or other LUG?

fatality_uk
November 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM

It is a shame and I agree it might well hurt. Your point about the previous ship-it is very true. Just hope it wont hurt!

scottishbloke
November 2nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks fatalityuk but ive got one coming from ebay now,just hope its burned proper cos the amount of duds ive bought there in the past is what made me order jaunty from shipit in the first place,i just didnt like how it said ive had several when ive only ordered one in my whole life.

Its no biggy its just disheartened me slightly im sure i will get over it,ive already tried upgrading but my pc just kept freeezing on me,so i reckon a clean install would be the best bet.

Dragonbite
November 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
The initial sting will hurt a little. I also won't be surprised if they don't "tweak" things a little after they see the effects of what they are implementing now.

I think the issue of shipping 10,20, 50 or 100 CDs to a place isn't as costly as shipping to 10, 20, 50 or 100 places.

Considering they are the only ones that are doing this, it is still a great service.

I strongly hope that they will put 1 CD orders available through the Ubuntu store, where the cost of pressing, labeling, the sleeves and shipping are covered (with some profit for themselves, but not too much).

Regenweald
November 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
I think it may be based on an analysis of the availability of high speed internet connections in your region of the world. I'm from the caribbean, so I get the 'developing world' tag. I had no problems with shipit.

mivo
November 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
I think it may be based on an analysis of the availability of high speed internet connections in your region of the world. I'm from the caribbean, so I get the 'developing world' tag. I had no problems with shipit.

Interesting. This would be sensitive, too. On the flipside, even in "first world countries" (is that the proper English term?) there are many places where high-speed internet access is not available. In the area I moved to, only 384k DSL (about 45kb/s) is available, and only since about two years ago. Prior to this, there was only ISDN with a minutes-based fee.

50 kilometers to the south, I could have 16000 V-DSL. Oh well, I do enjoy the wine hills and the quiet ... :)

Regenweald
November 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Interesting. This would be sensitive, too. On the flipside, even in "first world countries" (is that the proper English term?) there are many places where high-speed internet access is not available. In the area I moved to, only 384k DSL (about 45kb/s) is available, and only since about two years ago. Prior to this, there was only ISDN with a minutes-based fee.

50 kilometers to the south, I could have 16000 V-DSL. Oh well, I do enjoy the wine hills and the quiet ... :)

Think the PC term would be 'Developed' but I really don't care :P I my case, through the telecoms provider or cable provider, I can access up to a 10 Mbps package, but because of financial limitations I downgraded to the 256Kbps, roughly 35 down, so I'm a little behind you :)
But anyway you are right, a general analyis(if my assumption is anywhere near correct) may help Canonical get the shipit cd to those who really suffer with dial up and such, but if you drill down enough even in developed countries, there will always be exceptions inconveniently caught.