PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Live CD Boot problem

essenby
November 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hi,

I have downloaded the ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso and successfully burned it to disk and this will boot fine on my Lenovo T60. However, when I try the disk in my Toshiba A-100 (specs here:-> (http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/productcontents/satellite/PSAAKC-VA104C.htm) ) the boot process appears to start but then hangs. I get the language selection and the main boot menu, but when that clears all I get left with is a blank screen with a cursor flashing top left and zero CD activity.

Once, only once, the process completed and I got to a usable Ubuntu system but I have not been able to reproduce that fluked success. By adding boot parameters to disable AIPC etc I can occaosionally get to a Log-in screen p- but not knowing the default usernames or passwords I cannot get any further!

As a last resort I transfered the ISO to the Tosh and burned a CD with that but get exactly the same results. The Media check runs perfectly well on the Tosh using either of the 2 CD's and, of course, the MD5 checksum for the downloaded iso is fine.

Is 9.10 "touchy" about it's hardware or am I overlooking something fundamental here?