PDA

View Full Version : How much a cd costs in your place ?

praveesh
November 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
In my place , a blank cd of SONY costs about $.2(10 rupees) . But low quality cds are available at about $.1(5 rupees)

emigrant
November 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
imation= $0.3
4GB kingston pendrive=$15
:)

Zzl1xndd
November 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
I would like to say I know but I havn't bought a CD in years.

Dayofswords
November 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
as a penny pincher... i know

cheapest cd is 14 cents ea here, and i'd buy it

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Normally about 18.00USD per 50stack spindle at local walmart for Imation.

praveesh
November 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM

Interesting . shall I ask you why ?

Zzl1xndd
November 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Interesting . shall I ask you why ?

I just havn't need any.

anaconda
November 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
10 CD:s 5,90 euros

10 DVD:s 3,90 euros

I won't buy CD:s, because DVD:s are cheaper here.

(both of the above are normal Verbatim CD/DVD:s)

praveesh
November 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
I was thinking of the money the canonical spending for a free cd . I don't know the transportation charge , though .

hessiess
November 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM

This, Optical media is obsolete.

praveesh
November 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
10 CD:s 5,90 euros

10 DVD:s 3,90 euros

I won't buy CD:s, because DVD:s are cheaper here.

(both of the above are normal Verbatim CD/DVD:s)

DVD costs more in my place . About $0.3 . I think the canonical should start shipping DVDs from your place .

cascade9
November 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Dependsing on where I go it varies, this is from the place I go to the most-

Verbatim CD-R, 50 pack- $22
Verbatim DVD-R lightscribe- $25
Verbatim DVD-Dual- 10 pack- $29
Verbatim DVD-R, 100 pack- $39

HappinessNow
November 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
+1 didn't even know they still made CD's :popcorn:

mivo
November 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
This, Optical media is obsolete.

DVDs are still good for backing up some stuff, if you know you won't need to access it often. Sure, external drives are cheap these days, but they consume power and may not last as long as optical media. I back up temporary stuff to drives, but family photos and such always go to a DVD.

I also find CDs useful for Live CDs. Yes, can be done with an USB stick if a computer supports booting from USB, but if you try different distros, I find it easier to burn an ISO to a CD than to use multiple sticks or overwrite the same one. I'm also not going to hand out free sticks. :)

amitabhishek
November 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
CDs are far from obsolete...get down from time machine:).

Teber
November 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
CDs are far from obsolete...get down from time machine:).

i agree. cds are most useful new ubuntu releases. or for storing data totalling 700 mb at most, as cds are slightly cheaper than dvds. and for burning audio cds of course.

i pay 10 euro ($ 14.80) for a spindle of 50 cds, 12.50 euro ($18.50) for a spindle of 50 dvds. philips brand in both cases, on the market.

however, canonical would not purchase cds at retail prices. the cost of a cd could well be less than $ 0.20 for them.

t0p
November 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Blank CD-RWs cost 70 pence (UK) from my local library. What's that in American, $1.10 or something?

But I don't use CDs much nowadays. I prefer usb flash sticks for stuff I need to carry round with me. A live disk image on a stick is better than on a CD, methinks; especially because you can put multiple live images on a single stick, and thus have access to several distros in your pocket.

One thing I still use CDs for is back-up. I've got hundreds of the things kicking around here! I was thinking of getting a DVD-writer, then I could use DVDs instead - they have a much larger capacity. But I think the day of the optical drive may be over, so I will probably stock up on sticks and a new external HDD instead.

HappinessNow
November 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
CDs are far from obsolete...get down from time machine:).Yeah right, I have about 100 blank CD's and about 100 blank DVD's that have been laying around for more then a couple of years!

I only need so many coasters in one lifetime. :popcorn:

Zzl1xndd
November 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah right, I have about 100 blank CD's and about 100 blank DVD's that have been laying around for more then a couple of years!

I only need so many coasters in one lifetime. :popcorn:

I couldn't agree more.

Nevon
November 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
I think the canonical should start shipping DVDs from your place .

Most likely Canonical (or whatever company is in charge of shipping the discs) buys huge volumes of them at a very, very low price - probably only a tiny fraction of what you pay at your local walmart.

The Funkbomb
November 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
I don't even own a TV :P

CD and DVDs still have their uses but I agree with online storage, large capacity thumb drives and email handling larger files, they're not needed as much.

I'm sure Ubuntu doesn't pay for a 25-50 pack of CDs. Pretty sure they outsource to a burn farm that screen prints the CDs for them.

praveesh
November 2nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Most likely Canonical (or whatever company is in charge of shipping the discs) buys huge volumes of them at a very, very low price - probably only a tiny fraction of what you pay at your local walmart.

Yeah , but I haven't heard of that situation (dvd cost< cd cost)

praveesh
November 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
The era of cds may be over but I don't agree anymore with the argument of "optical discs are obsolete " . HVDs with tera bytes of memory are coming .