PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] changing environment settings

thaitang
November 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
hi gang,

Running Jaunty, I am using Xubuntu on my laptop for performance issues. I am for the most part happy, since having a long time love affair with Gnome.

Something that I have just noticed recently, however, and it is becoming extremely annyoing is the fact my desktop or environment settings seem to be dynamic and continually revert back to their default setting. Of note any OpenOffice or MS Word document will always try to use Gedit (OK so I haven't given up all Gnome apps :>) rather than OpenOffice 3.1. I select to use OpenOffice as default, but after a re-boot same behaviour. I also notice when I close termianl with multiple tabs open it always asks me if I want to close all tabls, to which I check: Do not notify me again ... but again after a re-boot same lame question.

I have happily been running Xfce for a month now, installed from Ubuntu, but I only noticed this glitch in the past two weeks. I have happed back onto Gnome several times (lost the xfce panels one time and needed Gnome to figure out how to restore them), so I do not know if somehow Gnome desktop environment settings are causing a problem for Xfce?

I will be going to Karmic, but I cannot probably d/load for another 2-4 weeks, so in the meantime it would be great to fix whatever it is I have broken.

cheers,
tt

thaitang
November 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
bump