PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I really like 9.10!

Haug219
November 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
I am loving Karmic right now I think it is a big step up from 9.04. The only thing I really don't like is the Log-in screen.

Posotives

My mouse doesn't freeze after 20min anymore
The loading screen when ubuntu is starting up is sweet
Software center is pretty cool
Runs faster than 9.04 for me
Came with cool wallpapers even though I use my own lol

Overall I think it is a good upgrade....I see a lot of people don't like it and are having problems with it from upgrading. I hope all works out for them because I think its awesome. Maybe a fresh install would work from a cd. I'm having no problems on my 64-bit system except for maybe a flash problem every once in awhile. I used to be a windows user 2 months ago but now I am all for Ubuntu. This operating system also helps me with my WoW addiction I used to have. Ubuntu is a good OS and saves lives too haha. Cheers all! Just wanted to give my opinion

iruel
November 2nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
but there are some bugs behind it,
1.you could update kernel manualy after installed graphics card driver ,ie:NVIDIA 190.xx,it cause blind screen
2.your symbolic link icon can't change if the destination link in different drive/partition

coffeecat
November 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I am loving Karmic right now I think it is a big step up from 9.04.

I see a lot of people don't like it and are having problems with it from upgrading.

It is a real pleasure to see someone saying something positive. All this moaning and groaning on the forum happens regularly every six months. It happened with Jaunty; it happened with Intrepid; it happened with Hardy.... You can set your calendar by it. :wink:

I'm having no problems on my 64-bit system except for maybe a flash problem every once in awhile.

Have a look at this:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Adobe-Flash-Player-64-bit-on-Ubuntu-8-10-98076.shtml

It refers to 8.10, but it works for me on Karmic 64-bit and resolved the flash issues I was having. The downside is that you're using an Adobe alpha. If it doesn't work for you, it's simple to revert back to the repository version. The link is a bit verbose. The method is basically:

Remove all remnants of the installed flashplayer.
Download the alpha tar.gz from the link.
Unpack the single *.so file from the tarball.
Create a ~/.mozilla/plugins folder.
Move the .so file into the plugins folder.
Restart firefox.
Bob's your uncle.

but there are some bugs behind it,

And that's true of every newly-released OS ever. True of Windows. True of MacOS. True of Suse. True of Ubuntu. True of.... :)

Just give it a couple of weeks or so and the worst problems will be attended to.

stinger30au
November 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
i love 9.10

9.10 kicks butt

in a big way

atypicalwinter
November 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
i have to say the same, i been using ubuntu since 7.04 a few years ago and i have to say this release has to be the most complete in my expirence. it has everything i need and works out of the box.

beeing someone that used that wincrap for so long i dont know why i didnt swap earlier. i very rarely use win any more. linux has everything i need :D

Haug219
November 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the Flash link I will try that out right now. Its good to see other people are liking it like I am. I wonder what the next update will be like?? hmmmmm

Haug219
November 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
I was wondering how can I tell if my firefox is 3.5 and when I went to the synaptic manager and tried to remove nsplugin wrapper thing it wouldn't let me mark for uninstall

Haug219
November 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Nevermind I got 3.5 but I still have the problem with the Synaptic

normanp
November 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
i love 9.10

9.10 kicks butt

in a big way

I would like to upgrade but 9.10 seems to be broken (see the sorry tale at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/446146?comments=all). Will 9.10 get fixed or should I wait for 10.04? I really don't understand how Ubuntu releases work - what happens if a fault in 9.10 kills networking? Will a new version be offered for download or is it broken for all time? I don't see how I can tell which version of 9.10 I am downloading?

Thrasherrich
November 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
I moved straight to 9.10 from Windows XP and i love it! I do have a few problems but thats inevitable, i guess all the problems are due to me being a complete Ubuntu noob :grin:

iruel
November 3rd, 2009, 01:07 AM
And that's true of every newly-released OS ever. True of Windows. True of MacOS. True of Suse. True of Ubuntu. True of.... :)
Just give it a couple of weeks or so and the worst problems will be attended to.

But this karmic version make me worst,to many bugs on them,i now just waiting for the bugfix,because it will takes much time to fix by myself...i was perhaps about six month for this version, and perhaps this version more feature and stable than jaunty.

26venger
November 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
even if there are glitches they always get worked out