PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntuzilla and flash

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hello Everybody,

About a 2 weeks ago I tried to upgrade firefox through ubuntuzilla, jaunty still had the 3.0 firefox. After ubuntuzilla installed the 3.5 version of firefox, flash was no longer working. After downgrading back to 3.0 and removing ubuntuzilla, the problem remained.
Synaptic told me flash was still installed.
My system is running on a 64-bit AMD turion CPU, 2 GB of RAM.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,

Martijn

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
let's check what kind of flash plugin have u currently installed..go to about:plugins of your firefox.. So, what flash plugin have you?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
according to firefox, none..

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

This solve your problem?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
No, the latest version was already installed, as are the latest versions of flashplugin-installer, libsvwdec-0.8-0 and swfdec-gnome according to synaptic.

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
is installed but as we seen, firefox does not have a flash plugin in the settings.. Try to remove flashplugin-installer, and the flashplugin-nonfree..

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree
and then reinstall only the "nonfree" one

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Then?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Unfortunately, no. About:plugins still claims nothing's installed and youtube either javascript is disabled or that I've got an old adobe flashplayer.

By the way, thank you very much for your help. I really apreciate it.

Martijn

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
.. i'm sorry, but i'll never surrender so easy =)

Yes, youtube say's that when the browser were not able to manage flash .. So, the first command, does remove something or not?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
It certainly does. It removes flashplugin installer and the nonfree, and the second command reinstalls them.
I've just checked my add-ons, but there's nothing like a java-blocker..
Previously downloaded .flv video's aren't a problem for totem, so flash appears to be in (some) working order, just not for firefox.

Martijn

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Looks very strange.. well, just recap.. When u installed "flashplugin-nonfree", firefox didn't have the plugin in the about:plugins page.. but is installed.. hmm.. .. a stupid question that i wouldn't ask.. have u completely close firefox and then reopen it? .. still nothing in about:plugins?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, I restarted firefox. I've even rebooted the entire system during the entire proces just to be sure (a bit overkill probably.. ;) )

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
.. .. Hmm.. very strange.. ..Looks that firefox 3.5 doesen't set the plugin as your default flash plugin.. have u even installed the 3.0.x version of ff? both 3.5.x and the 3.0.x version?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
ff 3.0.x is not installed. ff 3.5.x is installed, including gnome-support
at http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/samurijder/?action=view&current=firefoxinstalled.png you can see what is installed concerning firefox

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
this (http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/samurijder/?action=view&current=firefoxinstalled.png) should show what I've got installed concerning ff

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
totem.. Hmm.. If u try to remove totem-mozilla is there other packages that will be removed together?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Couldn't this have something to do with 32bit flash on a 64 bit system? Pitty I can't find a 64 bit.
Do you mean try to remove totem and reinstall it?

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 10:46 AM
No, i've x64 system and flash 32bit..I mean, with

sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla
are there other packages that this command remove with the "totem-mozilla" one?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood. Nope, nothing. I didn't use your command but synaptic instead, but I can't imagine how that would make a difference.

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
totem-mozilla is even a flash plugin..
if removing totem-mozilla pakage does not remove other pakage, then u can remove it and re-install the flashplugin-nonfree that i said before.. have u understand now?

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I've removed totem-mozilla, removed the flashplugin and the nonfree, reinstalled the nonfree (and the plugin). Still no plugin. I've also reinstalled the totem-mozilla, but this had the same result (none whatso-ever).
I can see you've dug in, and I appreciate it.

Martijn

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
well, at this point, what i've to say is that the problem is FF.. I've no idea why your FF does not work as well.. so, what i've to say is uninstall FF and the reinstall it with another method.. I've a x64 system, FF 3.5.4 and flash work perfectly..

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
I've reinstalled firefox, but nothing has changed. I did notice however that 9.10 is supplied with ff 3.5.3, so perhaps I'll test it with 3.5.4. Even though upgrading ff started all this mayhem

Martijn

masux594
November 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
As i seen with others users, looks like a Karmic problem.. All the user that don't succeed to install Flash plugin in firefox, has Karmic.. I have Jaunty and I don't know if I upgrade to karmic, so.. if i find some resolution of this stuff, i'll post to you!

However, i suppose that is not a 3.5.3 problem.. but some internal problems of karmic release i suppose.. I'sure that these problems is going to be resolved, until that, just wait..

P.s. If u want you can use the previous [maybe more stable] release Jaunty!

Sysc, A

nanotube
November 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hello Everybody,

About a 2 weeks ago I tried to upgrade firefox through ubuntuzilla, jaunty still had the 3.0 firefox. After ubuntuzilla installed the 3.5 version of firefox, flash was no longer working. After downgrading back to 3.0 and removing ubuntuzilla, the problem remained.
Synaptic told me flash was still installed.
My system is running on a 64-bit AMD turion CPU, 2 GB of RAM.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,

Martijn

see the ubuntuzilla faq for 64bit users to get your plugins working on the mozilla build of firefox (which is 32bit)

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Ubuntuzilla_FAQ

masux594
November 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Another user "Solved this problem" installing Jaunty.. So, i think that is a Karmic problem.. ..

Sysc, A

Samurijder
November 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
see the ubuntuzilla faq for 64bit users to get your plugins working on the mozilla build of firefox (which is 32bit)

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Ubuntuzilla_FAQ

Thanks, that did the works. I've tried it before and it didn't work, but it did the trick this time.

Martijn

Samurijder
November 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Masus594,

Thanks for all your effort, I appreciate it.

Martijn

nanotube
November 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks, that did the works. I've tried it before and it didn't work, but it did the trick this time.

Martijn

great! :)