PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I? update? Or not?

judge jankum
November 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
I just did a clean install of 9.04, should i let the update manager update everything or go as it is?
I have an audio problem trying to record, that's the reason for the fresh install....

judge jankum
November 2nd, 2009, 06:40 AM
Just looking for pro's and con's, this is the best system I've seen even with the bug i have, I don't want to gum it up.... Your opinions are much appreciated...

gordintoronto
November 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
Under Karmic my mic works, under Jaunty it did not.

judge jankum
November 2nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Same thing here. I can get my mic into sound recorder or Audacity..........yet....

infallible
November 2nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
I've been having a lot of problems since upgrading, and I was going to jump on and suggest that you not do so, but with a fresh install, what have you got to loose?

judge jankum
November 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Ok" infallible" Got your point....Here goes.....be back in a few.....I hope lol!!!!

Ginsu543
November 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
I could see you holding off on upgrading to 9.10 after seeing all the problems people have been having, but there shouldn't be any reason why you shouldn't update the 9.04 installation you have. You'll get the 2.6.28-16 updated kernel as well as security patches for other packages.

clevertomato
November 2nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
It may be too late for the OP to change course, but I must disagree with the advice of "why not go ahead and upgrade" to 9.10. There are LOTS of reasons not to, regardless of the fact that you have a clean install of 9.04. Read the forums for yourself. Personally, I'm so frustrated by 9.10 that I'm going to go through the hassle of doing a clean install of 9.04 and setup my computer all over again. Boot-up time is LONGER (but shutdown time is lightning fast), splash and login screens SUCK and apparently can no longer have themes applied to change them, suspend and hibernate no longer work (they FREEZE the computer requiring hard reset every time), and my nephew has the bug that tells him his hard drive is bad even though it isn't. My physical sound buttons work in 9.10 and did not in 9.04 but big deal. It's not worth the trade-off for me. I expect SOME glitches with a new release, but this is ridiculous. I am a formally-trained programmer/analyst and I'd never get away with releasing code this buggy.

Mustard
November 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
I did an upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10. All is well. :)

Having a separate /home, its not much trouble to recover from a troublesome upgrade. Just downgrade. :)

judge jankum
November 2nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
OK" I let update manager go wild and I let it update everything on the list....221.9 MB
Everything seems to be doing great, except the same issues with sound recorder and Audacity...

judge jankum
November 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Oh" I have 9.10 on disk and ready, but after reading the posts i think I'll stick with 9.04 for a while..I have used 9.04 on 3 systems and it has been flawless on the first 2. This pieced together rablash of a computer is the first bug I've had....

pastalavista
November 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
You should try 9.10 from the live CD first to see if the audio works and I would recommend a clean install as opposed to the upgrade route. Everything isn't upgraded if you do a dist-upgrade.. grub for one example.

judge jankum
November 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
I don't have any data to lose yet so i may just give 9.10 a try....

Zoot7
November 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I recommend you do a clean install, there's a whole load of problems with the updates at the moment.