PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Synaptic or Software Center?

Shelton2142
November 2nd, 2009, 05:11 AM
I'm a new Ubuntu user, so I don't really know much about Linux distributions in general. 9.10 Karmic is the first version of Ubuntu I've used, and I've found it very appealing in many respects. The most interesting thing so far for me is the Ubuntu Software Center. It seems to have huge potential as a massive library of open source software that the community can use to easily distribute products to Ubuntu users who would otherwise have no idea where to look for a certain kind of program. However, I learned from reading around that USC is slated to replace Synaptic Package Manager. I can understand the switch, as I have seen SPM and it isn't exactly friendly to new users. Still, I can see a similar comparison between SPM and USC to the one that many of the more talented Linux users out there make towards GUI and command line. SPM seems to have functions available that USC doesn't, such as the ability to download and install Kubuntu's KDE desktop on top of Ubuntu's GNOME environment and test both out at the same time.

I suppose that with further development, USC is going to have all of that functionality and provide an easier to use interface with which to apply them. Right now, I don't think that USC is far enough along that it can entirely replace SPM. What's your opinion?

pwnst*r
November 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
i like software center just because package manager was getting tired looking. either way, it gets the job done.

Dharmachakra
November 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM
I see the Software Center evolving in to something like Apple's App Store... but not something exactly like it. I'm thinking more of a 'social' Synaptic.

That said, I don't use either that often. I usually just use apt-get from the terminal. Sometimes, if I'm not looking for something in particular, I'll hop over to Synaptic.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Software Center may seem a little ruff around the edges this release, but it will surpass Synaptic over the next 6 months. IMHO.

semitone36
November 2nd, 2009, 05:20 AM
I remember reading somewhere before the release that USC would be a lot like the iPhone app store and that developers could choose to make their software free to download or charge a fee.

I havent upgraded yet so I dont know if that is true but if it is it will attract a ton of developers to linux. So i guess I could potentially prefer the Software Center.

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2009, 05:34 AM
i prefer the old add/remove

The Funkbomb
November 2nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
i prefer the old add/remove

I'm with you. Software center is an interesting idea and seems to fit in with the general them of Ubuntu but it also has a few flaws.

1. It's much slower than Add/remove.
2. It requires too much clicking around.
3. No more ratings.
4. It asks for my password a lot.

A good idea would be to allow users to choose. Perhaps have a "classic view" so we can see Software center like the old add/remove much like how Windows allows people to switch to the old XP view in Control Panel on newer versions.

tkblackbelt
November 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
I like the new software center better but i wish the the that it showed the download size of the software.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
I don't mind the absence of synaptic. I use the cli to install almost all of my apps anyway. The new Ubuntu Store seems really user friendly and even allows you to see screenshots of the programs. I think it's really impressive. CLI ftw though.

SirBismuth
November 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I vary between synaptic and cli, when installing software, haven't looked at the software centre beyond glancing at it, but it seems like an improvement.

B

joey-elijah
November 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
They're currently two very different applications.

The software store is, currently, just a means to install applications.

Synaptic is, currently, a complete package manager.

Your poll is like comparing two cakes - one baked and the other still waiting to be made.

Groucho Marxist
November 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
I have mixed feelings on both; I like the design of the Software Center, but I need to know the progress of my downloads beyond vague percentages. Until the SC can alleviate this problem I will stick with Synaptic.

gjoellee
November 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
I prefer Synaptic because of it's functions when it comes to installing packages. I remember that I could not install ubuntu-restricted-extras with Add/Remove because I already had flash installed. Problem solved with Synaptic.

I can also easily remove broken packages and a lot more with Synaptic. If the functions gets ported into the Software Center I would have preferred Software Center.