PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printer Card Problem

Jim Hill
November 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
I just installed v9.10 on an old computer (Dell Optiplex GX110) that uses a printer card. I damaged the integrated parallel port while using WinXP, and purchased a printer card that uses a NetMos 9805 chip. This card worked ok with WinXP.

With WinXP, the Windows Found New Hardware notified me that a new card was installed, and allowed me to search for and install drivers. The box indicated it could be used with Linux. It was installed for LPT3

After installing Ubuntu with the card installed, I didn't receive a notification that a new device was connected and going to preferences/admin/printing doesn't allow me to provide drivers. I tried Other, and was asked for the URI (Uniform Resource Indicator. Unfortunately, I don't know the path to the driver.

The actual manufacturer/model of this card is hard to determine - I think it is some sort of dubious import. the box says PCI Multi-IO SD-PCI9805-1P with no vendor name.

Any suggestions on how I could use this card, or I would appreciate knowing the manufacturer/model of another card that would work. I thought of removing the card, starting the computer, then reinstalling the card and starting the printer, but have not tried it.

Thanks, Jim

Jim