PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot and black screen

interestinfellow
November 2nd, 2009, 04:08 AM
So, I ran 9.04 on this emachine t2862 with almost no problem, for some odd months. I recently had to have access to an XP machine, so I wiped the drive, installed xp sp3 slipstreamed, and then 9.04 for a dual boot system. XP and Ubuntu 9.04 both have a 6gb partition to themselves. Xp is on the ntfs part, home is only 1gb because I save everything to another 120gb hdd (sdb), and there is a left over partition of 43gb. I have attached a jpeg of my gparted screen shot for the boot drive.

In any case, it boots into grub and xp just fine. But Ubuntu 9.04 (defualt OS) only boots about %10 of the time with no problem. The rest of the time, I go through post, grub, and then it gets to the ubuntu boot screen with the status bar, the bar fills up, the screen goes blank just like always, but it doesn't go any further. No sound, no mouse pointer, no prompt.... just a black screen.

Please help. I've looked in the forums and can't find a similar situation.

Thanks!

interestinfellow
November 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Should I mark the / partition as boot? I'm not sure what to do, because ubuntu boots some of the time (I would think the boot flag would be an all the time or none of the time issue).