PDA

View Full Version : wanna take car with me.

sandyd
November 2nd, 2009, 03:46 AM
i currently have a little issue.

i bought a car a 2 months ago, i absolutely love it.

however, im moving to L.A. in a month.

im just curious, what options do i have to take my car with me?
( and no, im not gonna drive it down there ;) thats gonna take ages)

p.s. hows the rush hour traffic in L.A?

p.p.s. i live
<------------here

wilee-nilee
November 2nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
You can pay for a cargo transport here some locals in your area. http://www.ontario-directory.com/browse/49/1/auto-transport.html You could also pay someone you trust to drive it there, but with a return airfare the professional transport is probably about the same price.

CharlesA
November 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
LA = Los Angeles?

Traffic blows at rush hour there, but it really depends on what part of the city you are going to/from.

You could check out this here: http://www.movecars.com/toc/find/index.htm

I googled, no idea how good it is or not.

Tipped OuT
November 2nd, 2009, 04:00 AM

p.p.s. i live
<------------here

I live in Anahiem (next door to L.A.) and rush hour is hell! Crazy @$$ drivers too!

Just don't be there on a Friday, it's suicide.

aesis05401
November 2nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
The most important part about bringing a car to California is whether it will need to be retrofitted to pass the Cali emissions standards. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

If so, sell it before you move.

Edit: I should mention you need to scroll down to the Canada/Mexico section of the linked doc.

RiceMonster
November 2nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Considering how much Toronto rush hour traffic sucks (I work in Toronto, but luckily I take the train in), I'm going to guess LA rush hour traffic is even worse, since it's a bigger city.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
I have been to LA many times. I lived in San Diego south of LA for almost 4 years.

TRAFFIC BLOWS.. I can not stress that enough. From 4:30am to 8:30am going to work and from 2:30pm to 6pm traffic is horrible. Any other time its not that bad in most cases. BTW.. 8 Lanes on both sides of the freeway.. Normally moving only 4-8mph in one direction.

Good news is there is plenty of public transportation buses that are fairly cheap.

In LA your car is going to be essential most of the time.

I miss San Diego, they can public Tram, Trolly, Water Fairies and Buses. :-(
Damn near dont even need a car their if you get used to it. I went 9 months when I first got their without my car and many times I choose not to use it even after I got it just becuase some cases public transportation was easier.

sandyd
November 2nd, 2009, 04:06 AM
I live in Anahiem (next door to L.A.) and rush hour is hell! Crazy @$$ drivers too!

Just don't be there on a Friday, it's suicide.
i don't think its gonna get worse for me, im probably gonna get used to it since im living right on younge street......
over here, i always have to watch out for idiots who want to be run over when their walking in the middle of the street.
and these people who i sometimes think need to take their driver's retest....

+ i go to work in downtown every day. i end up watching youtube while gently pressing on the accelerator. (dangerous distracted driving, shouldn't really be doin that.)

aesis05401
November 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
To clarify on something another user posted, I generally see L.A. referred to as an example of failed public transportation. The metro-link is constantly in the news for new failures, overruns, and accidents, the buses are apparently always overloaded and late.

San Diego is a completely different story. There are places in L.A. you can live without a car, but it is not on par with any other city I have experience with as far as providing timely public transportation.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 04:25 AM
i don't think its gonna get worse for me

O yes my child it will.. it will in deed... /scary-old-man-voice-chuckle..

Trust me.. ITS BAD.. I am ex-Navy and have been most everywhere on the planet.. LA takes the cake.. BTW buy multiple city maps, they will prob not help but you be at least able to try.

toupeiro
November 2nd, 2009, 04:44 AM
LA traffic == HELL. I've driven in third world countries I prefer more than LA.

toupeiro
November 2nd, 2009, 04:45 AM
The most important part about bringing a car to California is whether it will need to be retrofitted to pass the Cali emissions standards. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Edit: I should mention you need to scroll down to the Canada/Mexico section of the linked doc.

^ This

tgalati4
November 2nd, 2009, 04:47 AM
I live in LA. Traffic is only worse in Tel-Aviv, and perhaps Baghdad. Fly me out to Ontario and I will happily drive it back to LA. I need a vacation.

Exodist
^ This
Most time its just a simple smog test, when I was in the Navy many members brought cars from home all over the US. They just had to do a yearly smog test and as long as it wasnt puffing smoke they was OK. Its not as bad as many make it out to be.

Skripka
To clarify on something another user posted, I generally see L.A. referred to as an example of failed public transportation. The metro-link is constantly in the news for new failures, overruns, and accidents, the buses are apparently always overloaded and late.

San Diego is a completely different story. There are places in L.A. you can live without a car, but it is not on par with any other city I have experience with as far as providing timely public transportation.

I'd have to QFT this.

Just because a given place has "public transit", does not mean you would WANT to ride it, either due to terrible service, or the ridership, or safety concerns.

|Mitch|
Getting your vehicle transported that far will cost a small fortune. Especially with the higher fuel prices these days.

When I moved back home from living in San Diego, I had 2 vehicles to get home. So with the transporting of my truck and filling up my Mustang, I spent my small fortune and I am in shipping. I did make the trip back to New Orleans in 27 straight hours[map-quest claimed 29+] Guess how fast I was traveling...

You'd be better off just to pay the fuel and drive it yourself

sandyd
November 2nd, 2009, 04:50 AM

my car was bought from california - i was there two months ago looking at how my new house was going and my cousin advised me to buy a new car there. now i know why. :)
my cousin needed it, so she drove it all over the country, eventually back up to toronto.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Getting your vehicle transported that far will cost a small fortune. Especially with the higher fuel prices these days.

When I moved back home from living in San Diego, I had 2 vehicles to get home. So with the transporting of my truck and filling up my Mustang, I spent my small fortune and I am in shipping. I did make the trip back to New Orleans in 27 straight hours[map-quest claimed 29+] Guess how fast I was traveling...

You'd be better off just to pay the fuel and drive it yourself

I agree.

I been back and forth from SD to Memphis more times then I can remember. Its not that bad of a drive if you drive it correctly.

sandyd
November 2nd, 2009, 05:01 AM
I agree.

I been back and forth from SD to Memphis more times then I can remember. Its not that bad of a drive if you drive it correctly.
hmm. actually not that horrible as i thought.
only takes 1 day 15h. (google maps), and that doesn't include slowdowns.
might as well go on a sightseeing trip as i drive :D

thanks for you thoughts!

p.s. one last question, i currently have a blackberry storm on TELUS.
is there some way i could switch providers?

I also have a HTC Magic (only for vacation purposes only, so its unlocked)
could i simply get a friend to buy a plan down at california, speed mail the sim card up here, and stick it in when i cross the border? (and yes, i really don't wanna do this, but my parents are paranoid. if they lose contact with me for one hour, they will practically go nuts) and yeah, the plan will include 3G, which im gonna use to browse the net.

hellmet
November 2nd, 2009, 05:40 AM
LA traffic == HELL. I've driven in third world countries I prefer more than LA.
I much much prefer driving in my home country (India) than drive here in Houston .. It is sooo dangerous, people cutting lanes and driving like crazy at speeds above 100 kmph. Speeds in India never ever go beyond 40kmph during rush hour, which is frsutrating, but SAFER!!

However, I'd appreciate it if people didn't use the phrase 'third-world-country'. It is demeaning. Thanks!

pwnst*r
November 2nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
sell the car, get another in cali. you'll get a less eroded car for the same amount of money and one that's equipped for cali emissions.

also, so cal is awesome, traffic or not.

gn2
November 2nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Sell car, move to LA, get a nice Triumph Bonneville, then you can carve through the traffic in style.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01369/bonnie1_1369212c.jpg

HappinessNow
November 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM

p.p.s. i live
<------------here
Carlee, the drive doesn't take that long I once drove across country (USA via Canada) from Portland Maine to Portland Oregon in 36 hours.

You can also pay some one to drive your car down, or get a driving buddy.

Traffic in LA is the worst in the country, but you will need a car to get around. I would say that you will be severely lowering your overall quality of life moving to LA just having to deal with the traffic.

niteshifter
November 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
p.s. one last question, i currently have a blackberry storm on TELUS.
is there some way i could switch providers?

I also have a HTC Magic (only for vacation purposes only, so its unlocked)
could i simply get a friend to buy a plan down at california, speed mail the sim card up here, and stick it in when i cross the border? (and yes, i really don't wanna do this, but my parents are paranoid. if they lose contact with me for one hour, they will practically go nuts) and yeah, the plan will include 3G, which im gonna use to browse the net.

You should have no problem switching providers on the blackberry. Just research AT&T / Verizon / Sprint / T-mobile / etc and pick one. My personal choice: anything but Verizon, they nickel and dime you to death.

Tip on switching SIM cards: Wait until you are 15 - 20 km across the border before switching. Cell towers don't recognize cartographer's pen strokes all that well - you can get hit with international rates if you switch to soon.