PDA

View Full Version : Why DID gdmsetup suddenly become so minimal?

hoppipolla
November 2nd, 2009, 03:44 AM
Is it a new version of GDM? Was it overhauled in some way? Or are Ubuntu just trying to "refine" the OS and keep things kinda standardized? Will it go back in time?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just so weird to see a Gnome tool that has remained the same (or nearly the same) for as long as I remember suddenly get stripped of all it's options. Why is this?

Hoppi

samjh
November 2nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
It's being rewritten to work with PolicyKit, I believe.

FuturePilot
November 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Yes, GDM was completely rewritten a while ago, Ubuntu stuck with the older version for a few releases and has now finally moved to the new version. No one has written a tool to configure it comparable to the old one yet.

yabbadabbadont
November 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Because the ultimate aim of the gnome devs is to prevent any confusion among the unwashed multitudes by removing all configuration options...

(after all, they don't really need them anyway)

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Because the ultimate aim of the gnome devs is to prevent any confusion among the unwashed multitudes by removing all configuration options...

Just like the screen-saver applet. It took a act of congress and talking one on one with the lead dev at the time of the gnome project to get the head dev of the screen-saver applet to at least add a freaking preview button. They agreed also to add a simple configuration part to it, but as you can see that fell through and hasnt happend yet.

23meg
November 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
This thread is a textbook example of how anti-GNOME FUD spreads.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
This thread is a textbook example of how anti-GNOME FUD spreads.
No FUD here.

23meg
November 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
A lot of FUD here. There's the case of two factual posts being ignored in favor of a cynical one taken as if it were factual, and there's a horribly distorted recollection of an episode in the development of GnomeScreensaver cited in support of the usual grand conspiracy of feature removal.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 05:30 AM
A lot of FUD here. There's the case of two factual posts being ignored in favor of a cynical one taken as if it were factual, and there's a horribly distorted recollection of an episode in the development of GnomeScreensaver cited in support of the usual grand conspiracy of feature removal.

Dude, i did in fact have to have a heated debate with the Dev of the screensaver applet after gnome switched from the traditional xscreensaver to the new gnome one. He in fact did not want to add a preview or anything. It lead up to be having to have a few email conversations to with the at that time lead gnome dev to influence it getting corrected.

If you say this did not happen, then you are in fact calling me a liar and I do get offended from that.

23meg
November 2nd, 2009, 05:40 AM
Dude, i did in fact have to have a heated debate with the Dev of the screensaver applet after gnome switched from the traditional xscreensaver to the new gnome one.

It wasn't a switch. XScreenSaver was never part of GNOME. GNOME had no screen blanking application before GnomeScreensaver.

He in fact did not want to add a preview or anything. It lead up to be having to have a few email conversations to with the at that time lead gnome dev to influence it getting corrected.

Who was this "lead gnome dev"? Maybe you mean someone from the release team or something, because there's no such position as "lead gnome dev".

The classic discussion people tend to cite in distorted ways when they want to "Blame GNOME!™" whenever some configuration option or UI element they were used to disappears, for good or bad reason, took place in this bug (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=316654), which includes no reference to not wanting to implement a preview.

If you say this did not happen, then you are in fact calling me a liar and I do get offended from that.

I do challenge you to prove it by citation.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Challenging something with someone that happened well over two years ago is FUD.

I have been in debates like this before that go no where. So I am dropping this and you can do what ever pleases you.

23meg
November 2nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
I have every right to challenge claims badmouthing a project I've volunteered lots of time and energy to.

And of course, you have every right not to meet my challenge.

Frak
November 2nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
I have every right to challenge claims badmouthing a project I've volunteered lots of time and energy to.

This.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
This.
Wasnt trying to bad mouth anything. :-)
I am very passionate about gnome and everything about it as well.

cariboo
November 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
If you don't keep this thread on topic, it will be closed, and please keep it civil.

praveesh
November 2nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Isn't this a modification made by the Ubuntu devs to make xsplash working ?

fluteflute
November 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Yes, GDM was completely rewritten a while ago, Ubuntu stuck with the older version for a few releases and has now finally moved to the new version. No one has written a tool to configure it comparable to the old one yet.
This is the truth as I understand it. Nothing to do with PolicyKit or xsplash.

purgatori
November 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
This is one reason why I said "hello" to XDM in 9.10.

hoppipolla
November 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
This is one reason why I said "hello" to XDM in 9.10.

aww nooo but... KDM!

Additionally Entrance used to be amazing, I don't know about now...

Personally though I'm quite content with GDM, I'm happy so long as it logs me in lol

This sounds the most likely. I wonder why it was rewritten... always nice to see progress though so I'm sure things improved :)

23meg
November 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I wonder why it was rewritten...

http://live.gnome.org/GDM/NewDesign

hoppipolla
November 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
http://live.gnome.org/GDM/NewDesign

sounds good to me :)

tuwe
November 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
you can still theme gdm in some way.

sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

there you can edit colors and stuff of the login window and set a nice background.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM

there you can edit colors and stuff of the login window and set a nice background.

ooooo *tries* :)

EDIT -- Awesome! How does this work? Like, how am I setting preferences just for GDM and not the whole of Gnome?

falconindy
November 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
ooooo *tries* :)

EDIT -- Awesome! How does this work? Like, how am I setting preferences just for GDM and not the whole of Gnome?

Notice the part where you're using the '-u gdm' to launch the gnome appearance properties. sudo isn't just for getting root privileges -- it's for assuming the rights of another user. gdm is the user in charge of the system when you see the login screen. Alter his themes and you'll alter the gdm theme. You're pretty much limited to changing the background. Feel free to fire up:

gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconf-editor
and see what else you can alter. There really isn't much.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 12:34 AM
Notice the part where you're using the '-u gdm' to launch the gnome appearance properties. sudo isn't just for getting root privileges -- it's for assuming the rights of another user. gdm is the user in charge of the system when you see the login screen. Alter his themes and you'll alter the gdm theme. You're pretty much limited to changing the background. Feel free to fire up:

gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gconf-editor
and see what else you can alter. There really isn't much.

Cool thanks :)

Yeah I just changed the background and that's all. To be honest I have no gripes with the login screen really so I'm happy just leaving it. Sometime I might swap it for KDM if I get bored but even that is unlikely :)

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
oo where did the default background go? I changed it and now it seems like the normal one has disappeared... does anyone know where it is stored? o.O

tuwe
November 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
oo where did the default background go? I changed it and now it seems like the normal one has disappeared... does anyone know where it is stored? o.O

Which normal background? Backgrounds are stored in /usr/share/backgrounds, the xsplash background which is used by gdm by default can be found in /usr/share/images/xsplash

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Which normal background? Backgrounds are stored in /usr/share/backgrounds, the xsplash background which is used by gdm by default can be found in /usr/share/images/xsplash

Thats the one - thanks! It looked nice when I changed it, but it didnt blend so well with the Ubuntu loading screens either side of it! I know I could probably change those too but tbh I quite like them! :)

Thanks anyway though, and Im sure lots of people DO want to change this stuff!

Megrimn
November 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

HALLELUJA, brother!

kenrmcl
December 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Actually, I can't edit anything. I get

No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Cannot open display:
No protocol specified

and hence have no opportunity to change anything. Looks like XDM is the way to go for me.

See ya
Ken

Psumi
December 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
For those of you going to xdm, try wdm.

hoppipolla
December 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Why have they stopped working on Entrance? :(

Entrance is the very most awesomest :(

http://xcomputerman.com/pages/entrance.html

http://i45.tinypic.com/nnofuh.jpg

I use KDM but... man Entrance needs some love, it looks so good O.O

wsonar
December 23rd, 2009, 06:50 AM

Lame Lame Lame

good excuse to move all my devices to KDE

wsonar
December 23rd, 2009, 06:51 AM
a

hoppipolla
December 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
a

b :D

hoppipolla
December 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Lame Lame Lame

good excuse to move all my devices to KDE

haha don't worry that's probably not really the reason, I mean I think they just gave it an overhaul and the configuration needs to catch up... maybe.

Personally I use KDM anyway though. It's a little rough around the edges but it's more configurable, blends well with my KDE desktop and I trust the KDE guys to keep it that way and at some point probably revamp it!

I'll only switch back to GDM if it gets VERY good, or if someone injects more life into Entrance!

sgk
May 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM
@23meg, GNOME developers are supposed to develop for the community, not for themselves. So, they must respond to the needs and wants of the community. Otherwise the users will switch to something else. I myself, after almost 10 years of using GNOME (mostly), switched lately to OpenBox (and Conky, wbar, etc) and am thinking of using KDE 4.x when it gets richer in applications.
Don't forget that the main reason a lot of people use Linux and its ecosystem, is that they can hack it, they can adapt to their needs and likes;), otherwise they could stick with Micro$oft.