PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Possible to install from external hard drive?

zami
November 2nd, 2009, 02:34 AM
I was all geared up to get a fresh install of Xubuntu going on my laptop tonight. I'm following this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick,
I have my install .iso downloaded, I got my flash stick out....
and it's dead. (I suspect one of my children broke it because it vaguely resembles a space ship. StarWars has been involved in most property losses in my house!)

Is it possible to install Ubuntu from a USB external hard drive, the same as I'd do it from a USB flash stick?

It's a Maxtor.somethingsomethng USB external. It's VERY full and would take a while to empty (probably into my husband's machine, lucky ducky) but I can empty and format the drive, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help!

-zami

mac9416
November 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hey, zami,

Yes, I think installing from external USB should work just the same as from a flash drive. One thing I would like to point out is that, if you use the usb-creator tool, you shouldn't even have to format the drive. Just free up about a gig of it. That should be plenty for usb-creator to put a live install on it.

Hope that helps!

zami
November 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hey, zami,

Yes, I think installing from external USB should work just the same as from a flash drive. One thing I would like to point out is that, if you use the usb-creator tool, you shouldn't even have to format the drive. Just free up about a gig of it. That should be plenty for usb-creator to put a live install on it.

Hope that helps!

Fantastic! Thank you for the information. I'll give it a try and post my results.

-zami