PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 9.10, X\GNOME no longer work

Alboin
November 2nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hello,

I just upgraded to 9.10, and now GNOME does not work.

The system boots, and using rescue mode I can log in through the text interface without any apparent issues. However, when I startx, GNOME loads, seems to work for around 10 seconds, and then stalls outright. It is the weirdest thing.

I mean, it seems to be fully functional for a few seconds, but then just suddenly dies whether or not I move the mouse at all. (When I say 'die', I mean the mouse stops moving and the screen is static. I cannot shift to any other virtual consoles or anything like that either.)

Anyone know what the matter is? I am on a 32bit x86 machine with 512MB of RAM and a sizable hardrive. (90Gb) I have never had any trouble with any past Ubuntu installs.

Thanks very much for your time and help,
Alboin

Alboin
November 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hi again,

The problem is solved.

It turned out that compiz was causing the issue.

I believe the Intel GMA 950 drivers are the root of the problem, because I found a similar situation on these here forums where I found the hint at compiz being an issue.

Thanks,
Alboin

FelixS
November 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
I'm new in Ubuntu, How can I get and install these drivers? I have the same problem and Graphics Accelerator. Thanks.

sherylyamjg
January 15th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Hello,I just upgraded to 9.10, and now GNOME does not work.The system boots, and using rescue mode I can log in through the text interface without any apparent issues. However, when I startx, GNOME loads, seems to work for around 10 seconds, and then stalls outright. It is the weirdest thing. I mean, it seems to be fully functional for a few seconds, but then just suddenly dies whether (http://www.tekbar.net/ja/hackers-and-security/everyone--can-use-linux-firewall.html) or not I move the mouse at all. (When I say 'die', I mean the mouse stops moving and the screen is static. I cannot shift to any other virtual consoles or anything like that either.)Anyone know what the matter is? I am on a 32bit x86 machine with 512MB of RAM and a sizable hardrive. (90Gb) I have never had any trouble with any past Ubuntu installs.Thanks very much for your time and help,AlboinThanks for your reply! I found that it is really the cause.