PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot with Vista disables soundcard.

gpride73170
November 1st, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hey guys. Been using Ubuntu for a couple of years now, but this is my first post. I'll try to be as brief as possible. I have a desktop with 3 HDD partitions. One partition for Vista, one for Ubuntu (originally 8.10 then auto upgraded to 9.04, and a third partition for trying new distros (I like to tinker.) The Vista and Ubuntu partitions have been in place for awhile now. The 3rd partition has had various linux distros and a Win7 beta installed at various times. Replaced Win 7 with Kubuntu awhile back to see if KDE was coming along. Anyhow, I wanted Grub2 and Ext4 so rather than go the Ubuntu upgrade path, I decided to do a fresh 9.10 install and keep 9.04 intact, for the time being. The Karmic install was flawless, but when I later booted to Vista, I had no sound. I checked all settings and my old SB Audigy seemed to be working correctly, but...no sound. So I uninstalled/reinstalled the card and got it working again in Vista. No problem. Curious, I booted back to 9.10, and then back to Vista, and no sound again. Anyone else running into this? I've never had any other linux distro cause this and have reinstalled kubuntu 9.04 on the partition and everything is fine now. Using 9.10 on my laptop installed alongside Vista with no problems. Would this warrant submitting as a bug?