PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 Problems with ATI mobility Radeon X1600?

OskarV
November 1st, 2009, 11:49 PM
Hello there

I just started using Ubuntu 9.10 this weekend from Windows XP and I really like it.

Except there are problems with my graphics card. This seems to be a common problem but before I return to the bleak world of XP again i thought i'd ask here to be sure.

The graphics card is ATI mobility Radeon X1600
I don't need heavy 3D rendering but I can't except that the higest screen res I can select is 1024x768!

Is there any driver I can use or a workaround for the screen resolution?
I've already gone through several post on the subject and so far found nothing I can use.

axel_2078
November 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hello there

I just started using Ubuntu 9.10 this weekend from Windows XP and I really like it.

Except there are problems with my graphics card. This seems to be a common problem but before I return to the bleak world of XP again i thought i'd ask here to be sure.

The graphics card is ATI mobility Radeon X1600
I don't need heavy 3D rendering but I can't except that the higest screen res I can select is 1024x768!

Is there any driver I can use or a workaround for the screen resolution?
I've already gone through several post on the subject and so far found nothing I can use.

I also have an ATI Mobility card. Mine is a 9000 series. It worked fine in 9.04, but doesn't seem to load in 9.10. Although the system recognizes that it's an ATI Mobility 9000 video card,there's no driver installed, so I can't enable visual effects or even get a screensaver to run. It's not a show stopper since the resolution is fine and everything else seems to work, but it is a bit annoying.

t-readyroc
November 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Same here with a mobility X2300 chipset (HP 6910p). Everything worked fine in 9.04; used/using the open source driver.

Mark Phelps
November 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
If you're getting a desktop, there IS a driver installed -- the open source driver -- the only one that will work with 9.04 or newer with the legacy cards.

As to the x2300, the newer ATI drivers might work -- there have been mixed reports.

ssri
November 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
If you're getting a desktop, there IS a driver installed -- the open source driver -- the only one that will work with 9.04 or newer with the legacy cards.

As to the x2300, the newer ATI drivers might work -- there have been mixed reports.

I have a 6910p lappy with a Mobility Radeon x2300. ATI's release notes say that it is supported, but it is definitely not, as it is part of the R500 family. I mentioned this error in Phoronix and of one ATI's devs said that it must have been a typo, as all R500 and below are now branded as legacy cards.