PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank screen after first menu on 9.04 install

RealGomer
November 1st, 2009, 11:04 PM
Right. Way back on the 6.0 version I loaded Ubuntu on my laptop. The only probem I had was trying to remove it and letting WinXP be the default OS again. Anyway, I tried installing 9.04 on my PC. I DL's the ISO, burned the disk and booted from it. The first menu popped up - Check Memory, Verify Disk, Install, etc. The install started and the progress bar got about 1/3 across and my monitor went blank. The power switch went from green to amber. After waiting about 15 minutes I rebooted without the disc. Nothing was installed from what I could see. I'm going to try again with 9.10 but any suggestions what happened?

Gigabyte MA770-UD3 mobo
4 GB RAM
ATI 4650 Radeon
Dell 1703 FP Monitor
Hitachi 500 GB HDD SATA

natravis
November 1st, 2009, 11:07 PM
The first menu popped up - Check Memory, Verify Disk, Install, etc. The install started and the progress bar got about 1/3 across and my monitor went blank. The power switch went from green to amber.

Sounds like you may have been getting into a suspend or sleep mode. Sounds weird but I believe that happened to me as well. Try making sure you are tapping a key or moving the mouse at least once every 10 minutes or so. Did you try booting to the Desktop from the CD? That would be an easy to test to make sure everything is going to mostly work.