PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 9.10 and cannot shut down

wizardus13
November 1st, 2009, 11:03 PM
Whenever I try to shut down, it shows the ubuntu symbol, but once that disappears it doesn't turn off until I shut it manually. Also I can't do anything when the screen turns black and it doesn't shut down.

This has happened since I upgraded to version 9.10. However, restarting seems to work fine.

ratcheer
November 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Does this work from a terminal?

sudo init 0

Tim

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
No, it does the same thing.

whoop
November 2nd, 2009, 12:20 AM
Do you have an old(er) mobo? maybe something like this helps:
Edit /etc/default/grub and add acpi=force to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
and run update-grub2.

Or are you still using grub1? Then you need to edit menu.lst

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 01:07 AM
So should I install grub-pc? Right now I only have the grub package.

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
OK I followed some instructions to update to GRUB2, and it seems to work, but it still fails to shut down.

Also, is there any problem in deleting the extra entries of previous kernel versions from the menu.lst thing?

ROY.G.BIV
November 2nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
Keep one or two older ones for troubleshooting reasons.

whoop
November 2nd, 2009, 01:38 AM
OK I followed some instructions to update to GRUB2, and it seems to work, but it still fails to shut down.

Also, is there any problem in deleting the extra entries of previous kernel versions from the menu.lst thing?

Euh, grub2 does not use menu.lst. Remove the (unwanted) kernels via synaptic and they will disappear. Always leave a latest pair of working kernels as suggested.

rhackenb
November 2nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Same here plus I get the "one or more disks are failing". This happened as soon as I upgraded.

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
All right. Thanks, it doesn't show the other kernels anymore.

I tried your first suggestion (acpi=force), and now I get something when shutting down:

login: init: hal main process (699) terminated with status 1
init: avahi-daemon main process (713) terminated with status 255
modem-manager: Caught signal 15, shutting down...
init: Disconnected from system bus
[ lots of numbers] Power down.

Of course, it still doesn't shut down...

rhackenb
November 2nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
This works for me.

sudo init 0

Why doesn't normal shutdown work?

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 02:03 AM
Hm... I think you have a different problem because that doesn't work for me either.

rhackenb
November 2nd, 2009, 02:08 AM
I noticed that I was having problems shutting down mythtv. This had been installed under 9.04. It always had problems running. After I uninstalled and the used the "sudo init 0" to shut down, I could shut down the next time using the normal shut down menu.

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 02:22 AM
I don't have MythTV. I'm still getting the same message when I try to shut down, and it still doesn't shut down.

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 04:57 AM
By the way, I'm not using an old motherboard and its worked seamlessly in the past... but now I'm getting the output:

login: init: hal main process (699) terminated with status 1
init: avahi-daemon main process (713) terminated with status 255
modem-manager: Caught signal 15, shutting down...
init: Disconnected from system bus
Power down.

wizardus13
November 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
This is odd... it only showed that output the first time I shut down after I added acpi=force. Now it shuts down without any output (still doesn't actually power down).