PDA

View Full Version : Live radio stations with Ubuntu?

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Winamp ====>> Shoutcast Server

Allows me to have a live radio station using Windows XP.

How can I do this in Ubuntu? (using the same shoutcast server)

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM
anyone?

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 11:03 PM
Meh, I'm guessing that it's not do-able. That sucks.

ice60
November 1st, 2009, 11:11 PM
i can't remember how winamp/shoutcast works, but you could try audacious, it's very similar to winamp, or vlc. but maybe you're talking about using it another way :confused:

you can use something like streamtuner to help find stations too.

edit: i think i remember how winamp works and streamtuner and audacious works the same way.

unamanic
November 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM
Sure there is, just go to shoutcast.com and click on any of the tune-in links then tell it you want to open it with your own media player, for me it opens in totem. There used to be streamtuner, it doesn't seem to be working any more.

Additionally, rhythmbox and amarok both support last.fm, jamando, and magnatune.

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
No, I'm looking for something with a plugin to play TO a shoutcast server. I think I'll just go for the solution that I already know works (Winamp).

ice60
November 1st, 2009, 11:18 PM
There used to be streamtuner, it doesn't seem to be working any more.
it is possible to fix that, mine stopped working but i think i editted a config file somewhere to get it working again. (i'm using a very old distro though so things have probably changed in more recent releases)

there's also tunapie if you can't get streamtuner working
http://tunapie.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=132284

ice60
November 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM
No, I'm looking for something with a plugin to play TO a shoutcast server. I think I'll just go for the solution that I already know works (Winamp).
i kind of had a feeling you'd be talking about something else lol. i've never done my own stream but maybe Icecast is compatible?

spongypants23
November 1st, 2009, 11:24 PM
First off, have some patience. Don't expect people to reply within 20 minutes of you posting.

Secondly, this isnt' even a support forum. Try one of those when you have a question like this.

cameronedwards
November 1st, 2009, 11:42 PM
i listen to radio with movie player :-P
so im sure im getting the wrong idea.
(this is lbc radio -talk radio)
http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/player/default.asp?s=82&e=0

cariboo
November 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Please don't bump more than once every 24 hours.

Johnsie
November 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Thanks guys for the help... I've decided to stick with my original solution for doing this. I respect the people who at least tried to help. That's what makes the Ubuntu community so great.

Exodist
November 2nd, 2009, 04:44 AM
I use Shoutcase all the time.
Easy way is to install XMMS (ver1.x) its just like older Winamp. Takes very little resources and works flawlessly with Shoutcast.