PDA

View Full Version : This time MS went too far.

TrendyDark
February 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I'm not a Microsoft basher, I use Windows a lot at school and I can't disagree that it's good at what it does. This time, I can't help but throw my fist in the air and scream to the computer geek gods that be. . . M$ went too far.

"Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence."

http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/15/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/

If you're any sort of modder or if you just like to build a new computer or upgrade parts, this is bullspit.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I'm not a Microsoft basher, I use Windows a lot at school and I can't disagree that it's good at what it does. This time, I can't help but throw my fist in the air and scream to the computer geek gods that be. . . M$ went too far.

"Microsoft recently made a change to the licence agreement saying that a new motherboard is equal to a new computer, hence you need to purchase a new Windows licence."

http://www.aviransplace.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/15/microsoft-upgraded-motherboard-new-licence/

This has always been their policy on an OEM copy. If you change the motherboard or CPU it is equivilent to a new computer. (There are ways around this if you do not mind activating by telephone.)

Brunellus
February 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM
only reflects a move to TCPA.

TrendyDark
February 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
So should I not be outraged at this?

Deaf_Head
February 15th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I saw this on Digg.com ... I think it's funny.

sizzam
February 15th, 2006, 09:48 PM

I completely understand the outrage. I don't like the whole 'OEM' vs 'Retail' thing when it comes to Microsoft products.

In my opinion, the most customer-friendly stance would be 'a license is a license'. You either own a legal copy of the product or you don't. If you own a legal copy, you can have the product installed on one and only one machine of your choosing.

Stormy Eyes
February 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I've got a bet going with my buddy Isaac Magnin; he thinks he can keep pulling the strings on Gates and Ballmer and most humans will continue to tolerate Microsoft. I think it won't take much more, but so far ol' Isaac's proving me right.

wrtpeeps
February 15th, 2006, 10:34 PM
this just tips the balance. Scumbags

Derek Djons
February 15th, 2006, 10:39 PM
This really isn't new news. Since Windows XP users really noticed it. After replacing the motherboard and or CPU people had trouble to activate the product since the activation programs told them their key was already registered to an other computer.

Microsoft can't control your hardware plans but they definitelly seem not thrilled by the idea of customers using the same (OEM) key on new hardware. Looking at it from an economical point of view I can understand Microsoft. If this license wasn't around people would delay purchasing a new Microsoft OS. while switching from new PCB + CPU to the other and on & on. With this kind of license Microsoft keeps the cashflow streaming and people updating or buying again an OS.

Deaf_Head
February 15th, 2006, 11:02 PM
This really isn't new news. Since Windows XP users really noticed it. After replacing the motherboard and or CPU people had trouble to activate the product since the activation programs told them their key was already registered to an other computer.

Microsoft can't control your hardware plans but they definitelly seem not thrilled by the idea of customers using the same (OEM) key on new hardware. Looking at it from an economical point of view I can understand Microsoft. If this license wasn't around people would delay purchasing a new Microsoft OS. while switching from new PCB + CPU to the other and on & on. With this kind of license Microsoft keeps the cashflow streaming and people updating or buying again an OS.
'
I understand what your saying, but if I'm upgrading to a PCI- Express setup, and chucking teh old stuff, why would I need or want a new copy of windows XP?

At anyrate, this is obviously part of microsoft's strategy concerning the release of vista. Little things like Halo PC not working on XP and needing to buy a new copy for new hardware add up to the frustration that compells a user to upgrade.

I know alot of people who would be better off with windows 98 se or a stripped down version of ubuntu but where is the money in making sure everyone has what the need?

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
My advice would be if you change components on your computer all the time and only want to pay for the operating system once is to buy the retail version. You can transfer the retail version as many times as you want as long as it is only used on one pc. An OEM copy is specifically licensed for just one computer and is not transferable while a retail copy is transferable. OEM copies just make it more affordable to purchase a license for your operating system. That is why they are half the price of a retail version.

awakatanka
February 15th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Why they don't make a timed windows version then? " You can only use it for 3 years and then it destroy it self" If it realy goes that way then i'm getting also a :-& feeling.

Luckly in most country's it will not hold in legal ways. And in europe they will get they EU behind there *** again.

mstlyevil
February 15th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Why they don't make a timed windows version then? " You can only use it for 3 years and then it destroy it self" If it realy goes that way then i'm getting also a :-& feeling.

Luckly in most country's it will not hold in legal ways. And in europe they will get they EU behind there *** again.

I hate to break it to you but OEM licensing is legal around the globe. In fact this is not even the issue that the EU is taking MSFT to task on. This type of licensing has always existed. They do not need to put a time limit on it because all they have to do is develop a new OS and lock in features and software that will encourage people to blindly upgrade.

Deaf_Head
February 15th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Why would they have to issue a timed version?

OEM copy 1 - In my family, we bought our first windows computer in probably 98.
It was the family PC as well as my fathers work PC.
OEM copy 2 - After 2 or 3 years we bought a new family PC and my dad kept thw
older one as his work PC.
OEM copy 3 - After another year or so I needed a computer for college,
OEM copy 4 - My sister received a pc of her own when dell started offering those
250 dollar deals. which freed up the family computer for my brother
and my mom.
OEM copy 5 - My dad needed a laptop for his new job, the original family comp
became my mom's.

In the past 8 years my family has bought 5 OEM versions of windows, without choice. We aren't a real weathy family, although we do alright enough for ourselves especially with me in college and my sister preparing to go to college. That is why I don't think this is a real uncommon scenario amongst internet & tech oriented familes.

As much as this may seem to soem and as little as this may seem to others .. you should also consider that my sister may be receiving a new laptop for college .. while I myself also consider such a move. My dad will probably run his laptop into death before he gets a new one(but given 3 or 4 years more he will) and brother is probably going to get a new gaming computer in the near future. This means at most 3 new computers in the next 2-4 years with 4 mroe OEM copies of windows.

That'd be possible 9 copies of windows OEMS in 11 years.

So like I said, MS doens't need to put time limits on anything, especially since computer manufactueres are always advertising, new developments in hardware are always happening and they do release a new os every few years anyways along with new adcampaigns to encourage upgrades.

Bandit
February 16th, 2006, 12:35 AM
If more people knew more about the lic agreement that have with M$, the more people would want to use something else.
Explaining M$ Lic to people is the first thing I do before introducing them to Ubuntu. :)
Here is another one for you.. Did you know if you purchase M$ Word (or any file in M$ Office) that the documents you or your company type (produce) are owned by M$. The data in the files is your, but the word documents is micrsofts. Think of it as borrowing a freinds chalk board. Everything you right on it is yours, but not the chalk board ;)

This remminded me of the one of the lables on M$ DOS 5.0 diskette package.

"If you open this package you agree to the terms of the licence inclosed in this package."
Cheers,
Joey

xequence
February 16th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I thought you just needed to reactivate it?

What is this activation stuff anyway? Ive never accually had to do it, and ive never seen it done, so it obviously isnt hurting the people using illegal versions of windows, just the normal users.

GreyFox503
February 16th, 2006, 08:16 AM
What is this activation stuff anyway? Ive never accually had to do it, and ive never seen it done, so it obviously isnt hurting the people using illegal versions of windows, just the normal users.
Yup. Those that illegally copy Windows don't have to deal with it. If you actually paid Microsoft... then you get to have fun trying to convince them you're not a pirate.

Windows XP needs to be activated every time you install it, or if you change the hardware in your computer too much. There are also limits on how many times you can activate it within a certain time span.

Buy a lot of new hardware? Like to reformat your drive every few months? Both situations could cause the installer to refuse to activate your copy. You then have 30 days to call Microsoft and beg them to let you use the software YOU paid money for. As you've probably guessed, this is one of my biggest issues with them.

I will admit that getting them to reactivate your copy isn't all that difficult, but it's still time consuming.

This is a great example of punishing consumers who legally buy your product. Even the most computer illiterate people I know can get an illegal copy. It's not hard. And I'm not in China, either, or any other country with larger piracy. I'm here in the USA. Their scheme isn't stopping anyone.

ndhskp
February 16th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I got an retail copy for gaming purposes. So I'm safe right if I upgrade my motherboard to PCI express? Because I'd really hate to buy another licence it cost me 300 clams.

nocturn
February 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Actually, it makes me happy... and yes, it is an outrage.

Microsoft is becoming arrogant (with this and the push of users to Vista).
If people dislike all their draconian license terms, come over here, the water is just fine ;-)

mstlyevil
February 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I got an retail copy for gaming purposes. So I'm safe right if I upgrade my motherboard to PCI express? Because I'd really hate to buy another licence it cost me 300 clams.

Yes you are safe as long as you run it on only one PC. You may still have to make the phone call but the product number on the CD will tell the rep that it is a retail copy and as long as it is only on one computer they will reactivate it as many times as you want.

Edit: You can get a OEM reactivated also if you assure them you only changed the video card and hard drive. Not that I have done something like this myself. (Looks Innocently into your eyes)

ndhskp
February 16th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Yes you are safe as long as you run it on only one PC. You may still have to make the phone call but the product number on the CD will tell the rep that it is a retail copy and as long as it is only on one computer they will reactivate it as many times as you want.
Cool but it totaly sucks with Halo 2 as I'm a big fan of the original Halo and I aint buying the new station wagon. I can tell you that Microsoft is going the way of the Dodo but remember that the Roman enpire wasn't officially disolved untill the early 1800's by the church.

prizrak
February 16th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I can't say I don't understand MS. After all an OEM copy is much less expensive than a retail one, plus most people who use OEM licensed OS generally get it with a Dell or something and just get a whole other comp whenever they upgrade so it's a small concern. As far as pushing people to Linux, those who give a damn about licensing and actually read them most likely already run Linux or at least aware of the alternatives the rest of the world couldn't care less if they tried.

jason.b.c
February 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by xequence
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

:mad: i'll tell you what i think , i think it's just another way for ms to stick it in your B-hole thats what i think, its real crap when you have to call ms and freakin beg them for something they should do anyway, it will be a cold day in hell when i ever have to beg ms to reactivate something that i own and( bought and payed for ):mad: :rolleyes: ,also if there weren't so many freakin virus's on the internet today there probably wouldn't be a need to reformat and reinstall:rolleyes: besides that if i want to upgrade MYcomputer with newer parts i will do so! suck on that microsoft!!!!!:rolleyes: like i said its just there way of stickin it to ya , and like my friend was told win xp pro media center 2005 in the neiborhood of like 300 bucks:confused:

xequence
February 16th, 2006, 04:17 PM
This is just pathetic!

Ive never EVER had to do any activation stuff. Its like putting innocent people on trial and never even trying to put the people who arnt innocent on trial.

mstlyevil
February 16th, 2006, 04:41 PM
This is just pathetic!

Ive never EVER had to do any activation stuff. Its like putting innocent people on trial and never even trying to put the people who arnt innocent on trial.

But you are running a pirated Corporate copy not a retail or a OEM copy. Your experience does not reflect the experience of most people that use XP.

Bragador
February 16th, 2006, 05:41 PM
lol

Stealing is wrong...

But I'm not sure what to make of those who actually voluntarily steal crap

:mrgreen:

Alpha_toxic
February 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Just a thought:
I'm using a legaly obtained copy of win 2003 server standard (free through MSDN) and I haven't activated it because of moral reasons. I found a crack somewhere in the net and skipped the activation. I really hope i'll never have to activate any MS product (if I even use one).

xequence
February 16th, 2006, 06:38 PM
But you are running a pirated Corporate copy not a retail or a OEM copy. Your experience does not reflect the experience of most people that use XP.

Accually, I dont know if it was Corporate at all. The CD just says XP Pro. And I had to enter a serial number, which I dont believe you have to do with XP Pro Corporate.

arctic
February 16th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I am simply amused by the way Microsoft disgruntles its customers.

Yeah, the news are not new, but they are amusing to read... if you don't "need" Windows.

skirkpatrick
February 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM
The retail copy doesn't give you unlimited activations. I have a friend on another forum who owns a small computer shop who also upgrades her hardware all the time. When she went to activate after her latest upgrade, it wouldn't let her. She called MS who told her that they considered her to have a new machine if she had upgraded that many times (10 - 20 I think) and that she would have to buy a new copy. She decided right then and there to install Suse.

prizrak
February 16th, 2006, 09:00 PM
That's the point! Pirated copies don't need to be activated, the activation crap isn't stopping anyone from pirating Windows (Office, VS .Net, etc...) it makes it a pain in the butt for legal users to use their software.
I remember building a computer for a friend and the mobo I was using decided to die so I went and got a different one. Since it was Win2K all I had to do is install new drivers for the chipset and video (nForce 2 chipset w/ video). XP would definetly start asking for activation crap.

xequence
February 16th, 2006, 09:25 PM
This is unbelieveable!

Now I hate microsoft. I didnt before, but I do now.

This is just utterly horrible. You have to beg to use something you payed for!

My hate for microsoft just went up a thousandfold o_O

ice60
February 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
here's a link which talks about what you can/could change before you had to get a new copy of windows, and how it works.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Malphas
February 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM
There are probably more people using pirate copies that there are users that bought their own retail versions. The majority are obviously using the OEM version that came with their PC and are probably never going to be affected by this issue either, considering that it's unlikely they'll do so much as open their PC's case.

lol
Stealing is wrong...

Morals are relative but yes I'd agree.

lol
But I'm not sure what to make of those who actually voluntarily steal crap

:mrgreen:
*sigh* Copyright infringement and stealing are completely different actions and offenses. There was one court case involving the someone who had downloaded copyright protected music using p2p software where the judge had to order the RIAA's legal team to stop using the term stealing as it was innaccurate and unrelated to the case.

Bragador
February 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
So if I download a movie on my computer I'm not stealing it but if I take it from the store I'm stealing it ?
Now everything is clear.

But yeah morals are relative. I would steal everything I could from the weak if I was in survival mode.

Now that I know downloading is not stealing...

-Back to downloading buffy season 7 :mrgreen: -

ferebee
February 16th, 2006, 10:36 PM
This is one of the things that made me start looking at Linux.
My computer was a freebie- my mom's workplace raffled off some of their old
boxes to the staff and she won one- PIII 600mhz Winxp pro preinstalled. Since she's not keen on change
she gave me the computer. I've been gradually upgrading it for about a year now,
as money allows. When I installed a second hard drive I noticed my motherboard
had some bad capacitors. The local computer shops thought I ought to just scrap it and get a new one, and told me I'd probably have to reinstall XP,since XP will think it had been pirated if the motherboard is changed. Not actually having an XP install Cd, or the $400 bucks to buy one, I eventually found somebody who would repair my board for $50, and started looking for Windows alternatives, which led me to Linux.

Lord Illidan
February 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM
There are probably more people using pirate copies that there are users that bought their own retail versions. The majority are obviously using the OEM version that came with their PC and are probably never going to be affected by this issue either, considering that it's unlikely they'll do so much as open their PC's case.

How true..

Malphas
February 17th, 2006, 01:23 AM
So if I download a movie on my computer I'm not stealing it but if I take it from the store I'm stealing it ?
Correct (unless this was some sort of subtle sarcasm). Although the MPAA would probably prefer that you steal from the store because they'd still get their cut for that particular copy.

blastus
February 17th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Windows XP product activation was the last straw that drove me to Linux. I personally haven't had a problem with XP activation, and I've reactivated it probably about two dozen times. But I disagree with product activation (especially on something like an OS where all my data is tied up on the OS' file system) on principal. It is no different to me than to buy a brand new Ford truck and then have to get a new set of keys from Ford if I do too much "work" on my truck. Some consumers would be appalled if Ford had the power to remotely re-key their locks without their permission such that they would have to get permission from and a new set of keys from Ford to use their trucks again.

I have an OEM version of XP and was under the impression that when I eventually buy a new computer, Microsoft would allow me to transfer the license over to the new machine and activate XP, but I guess I was wrong. It doesn't really affect me though, because I don't use my restricted licensed copy anyway. The only Microsoft thing I care about installing is DirectX for games. So I will continue using my freely licensed copy of XP until Microsoft figures out a way to put some kind of "perpetual" online product activation into Windows and DirectX such that you cannot use them if they cannot activate themselves online.