PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Ubuntu

jakslev
November 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Everybody!

I'm not sure where to post this; but I figure this is not too far off.

I have some issues that I would like to know if I am all alone about:

1) WHY ON EARTH is 9.10 downgrading to using a "silly" IM suite like Empathy? Apart from the cool Macintosh envelope next to the watch; Empathy is really a very un-useful IM agent. Especially considering that they claim to be able to have video chats and integrate with Facebook! Did anyone manage to do that out of the box??? PLEASE give us back Pidgin (yes I know how to install it and switch it around).. this is silly!

2) Compiz messing up graphics! Compiz seems to me the market leader on the "bling-for-desktops". Please, make sure that Ubuntu works with this and does not crash it's Remote Desktop VNC server, Google Earth, etc..

3) What happened to GDM customization? Why are we now forced to not changing the login screen?

4) YES! I am sure! Please, make it easy to disable the microsoftish question "are you sure you want to turn off the computer?" I understand that this feature might be helpful on a Microsoft box - but my Ubuntu shuts down and starts in less than 30 seconds so why would I care?

Tada..

unamanic
November 1st, 2009, 10:30 PM
1) WHY ON EARTH is 9.10 downgrading to using a "silly" IM suite like Empathy? Apart from the cool Macintosh envelope next to the watch; Empathy is really a very un-useful IM agent. Especially considering that they claim to be able to have video chats and integrate with Facebook! Did anyone manage to do that out of the box??? PLEASE give us back Pidgin (yes I know how to install it and switch it around).. this is silly!

I have to agree with this, but wholly because of the lack of privacy controls. If I don't know someone, I don't want a link to their web-cam. I also don't my 9 year old IMing with his grandmother and getting one of those.

jakslev
November 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Are you actually able to get the webcam functioning? How does that work? :o)