PDA

View Full Version : What are your reasons for switching back to Jaunty from Karmic?

bedhead75
November 1st, 2009, 09:43 PM
It appears there are a number of people doing it, including myself. I'm just curious what your reasons are, and if there additional show stopper bugs I should look out for before trying it again in a month.

1. Resume from suspend leads to kernel problems and a crash report. My system eventually freezes and requires a hard reboot to fix.

2. Slower boot-up times. This is an issue as suspend no longer works.

3. Can no longer detect and synch to Ipod in Banshee.

4. Sound popping issues.

This was from a fresh install, and these issues are basic useability problems for me.

jdrodrig
November 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
None!

running_rabbit07
November 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have had a kernel crash report a few times, but I have seen no actual effects from it. I have completed bug reports each time, so I am sure it will get fixed soon.

I have seen where someone has found a fix for the audio crackling (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306679). How well that fix works, I don't know. I do not have any speakers hooked up to this system right not.

I have had no problems with anything other than Conky no longer working, but that is what System Monitor is for.

The boot times are about the same as they were with Jaunty on this system.

I don't use an Ipod. I'm too cheap for that. I do have a Sony MP3 player that works great though.

Good luck with whichever version you use. The great thing about Ubuntu is the ability to change so easily.

bedhead75
November 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM
How did conky no longer work? I'd like to use Karmic eventually, but I'm waiting for a few more things to get fixed.

running_rabbit07
November 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM
How did conky no longer work? I'd like to use Karmic eventually, but I'm waiting for a few more things to get fixed.

It starts, but as soon as I click on anything else, it disappears, yet system monitor says it is still running. Not a big deal for me being I nor run Karmic on the machine and not in a VBox, I don't need to keep an eye on RAM nor CPU.

solwic
November 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
I switched back to Jaunty as well, for various reasons. I do think, however, it's important to note that this always happens with a new release, and that most of the bugs will eventually be worked out of Karmic.

Just have to be patient. Until Karmic is stable, Jaunty works wonderfully. :)

jis
November 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM
I couldn't get my remote control work by lirc in Karmic.

I am not ready to move to use Grub 2.

I don't trust Ext4 filesystem too much, see the release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910#Possible%20corruption%20of%20large%20files%20w ith%20ext4%20filesystem).

Karmic feels faster, though.

running_rabbit07
November 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I couldn't get my remote control work by lirc in Karmic.

I am not ready to move to use Grub 2.

I don't trust Ext4 filesystem too much, see the release notes (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910#Possible%20corruption%20of%20large%20files%20w ith%20ext4%20filesystem).

Karmic feels faster, though.

Haven't had those problems with EXT4.

FuturePilot
November 2nd, 2009, 12:42 AM
USB issues (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/460126)

NoaHall
November 2nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
I'd make sure that a fresh install doesn't fix your problems before dropping down to jaunty.

hoppipolla
November 2nd, 2009, 12:45 AM
none :)

lovinglinux
November 2nd, 2009, 12:49 AM
I have seen where someone has found a fix for the audio crackling (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306679). How well that fix works, I don't know. I do not have any speakers hooked up to this system right not.

http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8099760&postcount=12

Nightstrike2009
November 2nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
I broke my 3G internet connection (Networkmanager error) worked ok in 9.04 now can't connect although set-up right. cant use apt, upgrade or fix problem due to this stupid error.

Wish i'd never got rid of my 9.04 installation as it work fine. I am not impressed with 9.10 at all, waiting for 10.4 now (and will be more careful about installing that to until sure connection problem is fixed).

PS: The modem is not at fault has it works on my windows xp fine (Dual boot system)

wilee-nilee
November 2nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
On my new acer net=book Karmic is great. On my old dell laptop which has a problematic video card jaunty runs better, although the problems are probably fixable but, I will just wait for lucid to attack the card.

overdrank
November 2nd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Some post have been Jailed, please keep the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) in mind when posting.

lovinglinux
November 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Some post have been Jailed, please keep the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) in mind when posting.

Thank you.

pootan
November 2nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
I havent gone back but I'm not going forward either. I'm not interested in Clouds or Ext4 and I can't see anything else that's much different from the Live CD. Besides I think it's best not to try to marry my older PC with a newer file system. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

wallshuff
November 2nd, 2009, 01:36 AM
No sound
Scanner not recognized
Printer not recognized
Can't get root in terminal because password is not recognized
Crashes
Can't share on the network

9.04 worked flawlessly on my Desktop and 8.04 still does on my netbook.

I will never rush to upgrade again.

lovinglinux
November 2nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
I havent gone back but I'm not going forward either. I'm not interested in Clouds or Ext4 and I can't see anything else that's much different from the Live CD. Besides I think it's best not to try to marry my older PC with a newer file system. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree that if ain't broke don't fix it, but I have installed Karmic with ext4 on my mother's low-end notebook and it is working much better now. There are a few video glitches that needs to be fixed, but at least now her Firefox is opening fast and gnome doesn't take ages to load. The ext4 filesystem makes a huge difference.

pootan
November 2nd, 2009, 01:56 AM
I agree that if ain't broke don't fix it, but I have installed Karmic with ext4 on my mother's low-end notebook and it is working much better now. There are a few video glitches that needs to be fixed, but at least now her Firefox is opening fast and gnome doesn't take ages to load. The ext4 filesystem makes a huge difference.
That's exactly what I'm going to do with my mothers notebook. It runs a pre installed Vista with only 1 gig of ram(thanks ACER!) and uses 89 percent of it just sitting on idle. My current PC however is now 5 years old and it's best not to upset it. In a few months I will be building a new PC and my Koala download can move into that.

BuffaloX
November 2nd, 2009, 02:12 AM
I had some issues, but most could be fixed,
A minor Kernel bug results in false crash reports sometimes, which is a little annoying, but the fix has already been made, so I'm only waiting for it to hit the servers.

Unfortunately I live in a police state, so I have to change my DNS servers.
It didn't work with Network Manager, so it took a couple of hours of tinkering, to finally get Ubuntu to work with my specified DNS's.
That should really just take a minute!

It didn't help that my Internet connection suddenly decided to play stupid, it sometimes does that in very wet weather.

The installation was a bit of a bumpy ride, but now everything works, (except the false warning), and boy is it FAST!

Now I need to do the final tweaking, and maybe I'll finally learn something about Linux, which I really haven't until now, because Ubuntu just worked. ;)

wetware1967
November 2nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
Had some 'mostly minor' problems. Desktop resolution issues after install on one machine. I managed to fix after a couple of hours of searching on the 'net and fumbling through a few dead-ends. And problems getting a wireless card working properly on another, finally resolved by doing the install again, on a wired ethernet connection. Think I'm gonna stick with XP and 8.04LTS on my other hardware for now, at least they're both solid in comparison to this release.

giantclam
January 3rd, 2010, 11:09 PM
I just switched back yesterday after trying Karmic for 3 months. The main reason is that I could not get faxing to work in Karmic no matter what I did. I went back to Jaunty and it worked immediately. I also was having problems with Skype, which may or may not be related to Karmic, but when I switched back, that now worked, too.

I far prefer the Jaunty version of add/remove programs. I find it easier to use (less steps) and really enjoy the star rating system that it has.

Also, in Karmic, there was a new bug with ejecting CDs/DVDs where it wouldn't eject discs. I found from research that this was a bug in Karmic that affected many applications.

On a really nitpicky note... I much preferred the old version of Gnometris as well. The karmic version color choices were too bright and made it hard on the eyes.

Even the new startup screen that everyone has been raving about, does not seem as aesthetically pleasing to me... and it feels like it takes just as long or longer to load.

In my 3 months, I honestly found nothing personally in Karmic that was an improvement over Jaunty. For me, upgrading to Karmic only broke things that had been working.

AlanR8
January 3rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
Ran Karmic from Alpha 3 with no problems on this Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21S laptop, (propriety hardware?) and on my son's home build Core 2 Duo, and on my "server" (sic) a 1.6 P4 with a 10 year old hard disk for the OS and a new 500 Gig disk for the data.

Do you know what?

NO Problems with any of the machines that span a generation!

Everything just works on all of them......

Step back, NO THANKS :):):):)