PDA

View Full Version : computer upgrades!!1

fillintheblank
November 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hey I bought a desktop a while back and Im looking to upgrade it. Any suggestions as to where I should start? I have 4gig RAM a 500GigHDD AMD 1.8GHTZ Quad Core. and an nVidia graphics card with 128mb memory. I realize thats not a lot of information but if you need anymore information ask me and Ill find out. Thanks

lswb
November 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Why in the world do you need to upgrade a system with those specs?

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Hey I bought a desktop a while back and Im looking to upgrade it. Any suggestions as to where I should start? I have 4gig RAM a 500GigHDD AMD 1.8GHTZ Quad Core. and an nVidia graphics card with 128mb memory. I realize thats not a lot of information but if you need anymore information ask me and Ill find out. Thanks

Graphics card. Followed by CPU.

Skripka
November 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM

I'd sooner ask about the 1.8gHz quad core CPU...I didn't know AMD made one of those.

Tipped OuT
November 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM

+1 That's good enough to last you for another 6-7 years.

NCLI
November 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
+2 Unless you need a powerful system for something like gaming or video editing, those spec are great for a Ubuntu PC. (Please don't look at my signature >.>)

The Real Dave
November 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Seriously mate, Ubuntu runs great on my computer (specs in sig)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If your that desperate to rip apart a computer, go build a server or something :) You could build a whole NAS server for less than it would cost to upgrade your CPU

fillintheblank
November 2nd, 2009, 12:31 AM
sweetness thanks!

pwnst*r
November 2nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
sweetness thanks!

lol?

as others stated, you've got plenty of oomph for linux. i built a new gaming rig last month because, well, i wanted to and felt like spending some money for it. good excuse, right? RIGHT?!

BuffaloX
November 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Your graphics card is obviously the lowest specked part, but if you don't need fast 3D graphics, you should be OK.
You don't mention your monitor, if you don't have flat screen, go for that.