PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Disable password for mounting drives in Karmic

praveenthivari
November 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Everytime I mount the drive it asks for password authentication. I could somehow disable it in Jaunty but in Karmic I do not find any options to that.

tudor117
November 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM
Try installing pysdm
Select the drives you want and tell it any user can mount.
Before you could go to "Administration" -> "Authorizations" and there were mounting rules. Somehow they're gone. However, pysdm does a great job.

praveenthivari
November 2nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Try installing pysdm
Select the drives you want and tell it any user can mount.
Before you could go to "Administration" -> "Authorizations" and there were mounting rules. Somehow they're gone. However, pysdm does a great job.

Thanks I 'll install and try it out.

JBAlaska
November 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
You can add the drives to fstab, an easy way to do this is with ntfs-config:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

After installing make sure the drives you want to automount are currently UNMOUNTED, then start ntfs configuration tool from System, Administration and check the boxes next to the drives you want to mount. That will update fstab for you.

It's alot less complicated than pysdm, but not as powerful either..

NickJones
November 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
If I remember correctly there should be a drop down menu when you enter your password, with options like, "Remember My Authentication" tick that and it should be problem solved.
Nick

praveenthivari
November 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
If I remember correctly there should be a drop down menu when you enter your password, with options like, "Remember My Authentication" tick that and it should be problem solved.
Nick

There is no option in Karmic, it was there in Jaunty

praveenthivari
November 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
You can add the drives to fstab, an easy way to do this is with ntfs-config:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-configAfter installing make sure the drives you want to automount are currently UNMOUNTED, then start ntfs configuration tool from System, Administration and check the boxes next to the drives you want to mount. That will update fstab for you.

It's alot less complicated than pysdm, but not as powerful either..

Is there no way to just mount the drive when needed without asking for password instead of keeping them mounted always?:p

Bombenbach
November 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I've just found this solution
http://www.shareconnector.com/howto-remember-authentication-mounted-drive-in-ubuntu-910-karmic
an it works like a charm on my Karmic-Thinkpad! Hope it helps.

HoTMetaL
November 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I've just found this solution
http://www.shareconnector.com/howto-remember-authentication-mounted-drive-in-ubuntu-910-karmic
an it works like a charm on my Karmic-Thinkpad! Hope it helps.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for that link.

HoTMetaL
November 8th, 2009, 10:35 PM
On further testing, that actually did not work for me. Ubuntu 9.10 still kept asking for password, even after logging out and rebooting. The solution: edit the /etc/sudoers file directly (not recommended for beginners!). It did work nicely though, after doing some reading first and learning the proper way to edit this permissions file.

praveenthivari
November 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the replies

But the problem now is, I installed the 'pysdm drive manager' and after that for any mounting or unmounting I have to go to use pysdm to do that. i.e those option wont work normally.
Uninstaling that soft doesn't solve the problem. So, now I cannot test the link posted by Bombenbach (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=840726)

Flecto
November 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I tried editing the /etc/sudoers file so that I won't have to enter my sodu password everytime I want to use mount or umount. But it had no effect, no matter what I tried to put into the /etc/sudoers file, it always asked for my sudo password (only once of course)...

So what is the "proper" way to edit the sudoers file to get rid of the password prompt? How did you do it HoTMetaL?

Thanks for the help.

HoTMetaL
November 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM
So what is the "proper" way to edit the sudoers file to get rid of the password prompt? How did you do it HoTMetaL?
Hey Flecto. I should clarify why I edited the sudoers file first before explaining how to do it. I wanted to mount encrypted TrueCrypt containers (virtual drives) without Ubuntu asking for my password during every mount and unmount. For this, sudoers did the trick. The instructions, however, will be different for mounting actual drives, so adjust accordingly:

*** Warning: You should backup /etc/sudoers first! ***
*** Warning: Editing this file incorrectly can create serious security implications. ***
*** Proceed ONLY if you know what you're doing. ***

randomuser@ubuntu:~$ sudo visudo

Then, I added a line at the very END of the sudoers file:

randomuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/truecrypt

Ctrl+O to SAVE (save as /etc/sudoers - remove the ".tmp")
Press Y to confirm
Ctrl+X to EXIT
You'll need to log out and back into Ubuntu.

lee-anna-loo
November 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I also minded typing my password every time, so I found this

Open terminal and enter:
sudo gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.policy

Find the action id:
org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.filesystem-mount-system-internal

Within that action id look for the line:
<allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
and replace it with:
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

Save the file and witness the drives mounted without entering an authentication password.

Thanks to this guy:

praveenthivari
November 11th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Anyway I am happy now with the drives mounted at the beginning itself with pysdm. As of now now happy with that and would try other options sometime in future.:D:D:D:D

joejoseph00
November 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
There is no option in Karmic, it was there in Jaunty

When I first was prompted for the password in Karmic, nothing worked because I thought it was asking for my admin password for accessing NTFS which I don't have because I never specified a password in NTFS, instead once I realized that I could enter my SU password then I got in.

I see others have suggestions for automatic mounting, perhaps this should be an option in the dialog box. So optionally from the dialog box the lazy user should be able to click a checkbox for always try to mount this partition. As well it should be remarked to enter the Ubuntu password otherwise people get confused as I did.

?

ankhi
November 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I also minded typing my password every time, so I found this

Thanks to this guy:

This worked for me too!!! Thanks to Anna (as I couldnt open the link in office) and to the guy to helped her!!:KS