PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I upgrage 9.04 to 9.10

kb7ypf
November 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Guys-

I am running 9.04 Ubuntu and I want to upgrade to 9.10. After reading all the problems I am wondering if this is the time to upgrade.

Another thing, why are so many people having lots of problems with this distribution? I have not seen problems like this before with other Ubuntu distributions.

Thinks for your comments. :D

Sierra Vista, AZ

squenson
November 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
If you realy depend on 9.04, it is advisable to wait. Nothing special to this specific upgrade, but waiting a little bit will not hurt and can only make the product better over time.

You can also install a virtual machine (I use VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org)) with 9.10 and test your activities on it.

the.ant
November 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
No, you shouldn't.

9.10 seems to be in an alpha state, not anything close to something that should be released.
Unfortunately, I did not read about it before I made the mistake of upgrading. I got so used to flawless upgrades the last couple of times that I forgot my healthy precaution. Now my computer refuses to boot at all, quite frustrating.

Dave W
November 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I, for one, will remain with 9.04 for another 6 months or so. After all, it will be supported for another year.

By the way, ****, I'm sure you meant "upgrade"!

grozak
November 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
I've been using Linux for about 10 years now, starting with Slackware, & now Ubuntu for the last year and a half. I've had such good luck with Ubuntu that I violated my own policy of waiting at least a few months before upgrading to a new release. I upgraded to 9.10 yesterday. BIG MISTAKE!!! Nothing but problems - sound, shutdown, etc. I'm actually logged on now with an old version of Dapper Drake that I had on a separate hard drive. My advice - wait a few months!!! This is the buggiest release I've seen.

manankanchu
November 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM
NO !!

see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1309480 for my experiences ...

psidrum
November 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Guys-

I am running 9.04 Ubuntu and I want to upgrade to 9.10. After reading all the problems I am wondering if this is the time to upgrade.

Another thing, why are so many people having lots of problems with this distribution? I have not seen problems like this before with other Ubuntu distributions.

Sierra Vista, AZ

No dont upgrade, if your 9.04 is working stick with it, this is my first time with Ubuntu, i really liked Jaunty, but upgrading broke my system, compiz stopped working FF doesnt load up, im not sure if Ubuntu is this way in every upgrade, but it is best to stick with 9.04 until months has past by and then upgrade.

thats what ill be doing next time

biguns
November 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
You should really hold off on installing 9.10. Everybody says to do a clean install, well, I did a clean install and still have had problems. Trying to open FF crashes the whole system...and there are other problems.

I love Ubuntu but since it was a new install I decided to test Fedora, (only because they use it at work and I don't have much experience with RPM distros). I'll go back to Ubuntu when the forums say that it is fixed.

samasat
November 1st, 2009, 10:41 PM
No unless you are expert in ubuntu !

I did take a risk and now i am trapped as keypad, sound don't work and wireless internet connection has been turned off internally. I cannot turn internet off by touching the screen, the way i used to do it earlier ; hence no updates and no apt-get commands are possible :(
-samasat

ColdLunch
November 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
I fresh installed Karmic and it works amazing for me. But it seems pretty rare for that to happen so maybe just wait for Lucid.

futileissue
November 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Every time a new distribution comes out, there is a small mob of people claiming that they have "never seen so many problems before", that xyz is the worst distribution ever, etc. Most of that is anecdotal, at best. Yes, there are always upgrade problems and issues. The forums are typically aflood with upgrade problems when the latest release goes public. You don't really hear from the people that things went smoothly for.

That being said, it is generally advisable to wait at least a couple of months before upgrading. After two or three months, most of the serious bugs have been addressed. There aren't any features that are going to turn your computing experience completely upside down. Wait it out, and your patience will be rewarded with extra stability.

danill2008
November 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM
I installed Karmic yesterday and personally quite like it...

howefield
November 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM

Looks like you're getting a heavy no vote.

I'd say absolutely try it, but only after taking an image of your drive, so you can get back to your starting point easily, if need be. Or make a new partition and install to that.

(Using virtualbox is fair comment, but not the same as installing direct to the machine)

Either way, it is easy enough for you to give it a go, on the basis that you can are able to get back to where you started.

Batzi
November 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hi Guys-

Sierra Vista, AZ

Well personally if I knew I would be going through problems such as not being able to connect to the internet I wouldn't have upgraded. I kinda regret it to be honest.

slakkie
November 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Looks like you're getting a heavy no vote.

I'd say absolutely try it, but only after taking an image of your drive, so you can get back to your starting point easily, if need be. Or make a new partition and install to that.

(Using virtualbox is fair comment, but not the same as installing direct to the machine)

Either way, it is easy enough for you to give it a go, on the basis that you can are able to get back to where you started.

I fully agree with this post.

Although, if you don't want to spend time on anything, stay at 9.04 and upgrade in a 1-2 months from now. But give it shot if you can go back to a working state.

squenson
November 2nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I fresh installed Karmic and it works amazing for me. But it seems pretty rare for that to happen so maybe just wait for Lucid.

It seems pretty rare because the 1,000's of people who had a successful upgrade are not posting! I have upgraded and I am very, very happy without any problem. I took the chance because this is not a critical computer for me.

andrew.46
November 13th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Hi squenson,

I have upgraded and I am very, very happy without any problem.

I am a little surprised at some of the comments on this thread. I have done a clean install of Karmic after following development from the early alphas and I have to say I have had zero problems. Everything works and works well.

Andrew