PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Karmic Kaola

Gael33
November 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm fairly new to open source operating systems and am sad to say not very technical. Here is my problem;
I have a second computer that is about three years old. AMD 3000 Athlon CPU, 1 Gig memory, ATI inbuilt graphics on an ASUS Mother Board, 115 Gb HDD. At present there is no OS installed so today I downloaded the correct Ubuntu 9.10 (32bit) and attempted to install it. The installation went well and when I rebooted as requested by the process, the mouse kept freezing. I panicked and uninstalled 9.10, found another Ubuntu disk (8.10) and decided to install that one. Unfortunately, I keep getting a warning saying I/O error ... reboot. When I do it repeats itself over and over again. I tried to install 9.10 again but it asks for a user-name and password and I cannot get any further ... I eventually gave up repeating myself and thought I would ask you more knowledgeable guys for advice.

dhavalbbhatt
November 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM
What are you trying to load - 8.10 or 9.10? In either case, I would suggest you use the LiveCD and format your HDD (using GParted - you will find that under System -> Administration -> GParted). Once you are done formating your HDD, trying installing the OS.

I would also suggest that you try installing Ubuntu 9.04. Ubuntu 9.04 was a very stable version of Ubuntu. Ubuntu 9.10 released last week, and I usually refrain from installing a brand new version of an OS, until all major bugs have been sorted out.