PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I downgrade to 9.04

hoboy
November 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
I will like to downgrade back to 9.04 at least all was working.
Now even I can not make my eclipse work, can not even install the plugin or to change my jdk setting.
after few days now I realized that using 9.10 require lots of linux knowledge, I have to admit that I have to wait to join 9.10 after later.

73ckn797
November 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Did you upgrade via the web or perform a fresh install? A fresh install will result in fewer problems generally.

dhavalbbhatt
November 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM
I believe the best way might be to back up your home drive and reinstall Ubuntu 9.04. I am not sure if there is a way to downgrade.

feb3
November 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
I have done this today but the re-installation of Jaunty got stuck at removing previous data.
Ended up going back into Windows and using Easeus partition manager to re-jig things.
Reinstallation of 9.04 went like a dream then and (happily)I managed to create a separate Home partition.
Taken me most of the day to get things back to where they were.
9.10 has been a pain for all the reasons outlined in other threads (sound/boot up)and won't be touching it again for a good while yet.

Bao2
November 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
I don't understand why the ubuntu developpers just don't say that upgrading gives problems and just recommend people a fresh install instead.

And even with a fresh install I think 9.04 was better. I could see TV for example, configure the sound that played when ubuntu started, configure authorizations so I was not asked for password every time I do something... etc... etc....

73ckn797
November 1st, 2009, 10:16 PM
I don't understand why the ubuntu developpers just don't say that upgrading gives problems and just recommend people a fresh install instead.

Upgrading doesn't give problems in all cases. The forums are the place to evaluate whether something will be successful or not. It still comes down to the choice you make. That is the beauty of Ubuntu, you control what happens.