PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can ubuntu 9.10 be installed from a USB flash drive ?

YosefKaro
November 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I have no CD's or DVD's readily accessible to me...so I was just wondering: Can I do a fresh install of Karmic Koala from a USB flash drive and if so, what are the steps to create a flash drive that can do this ?

-Yos

Magnes
November 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yes it can. I did it. Just download IS file and use USB Creator (it's somewhere in the Preferences or Administration menu). Not every flash drive will be able to boot. I tried on two different. First didn't worked (altough I installed WinXP on it once and it kinda worked so I was surprised) but second did and was much faster than LiveCD.

Dave33
November 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
You can try unetbootin to. Its similar then usb live creator. Works fine with ubuntu images.

YosefKaro, maybe working after a MBR clear.

YosefKaro
November 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ok, I'm downloading the ISO now. Thanks for your input. But are you sure that I can do an "install" with this USB flash drive or just boot with it ? I'm a little worried about this.
:-s

-Yos

bjlockie
November 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

5BallJuggler
November 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Ok, I'm downloading the ISO now. Thanks for your input. But are you sure that I can do an "install" with this USB flash drive or just boot with it ? I'm a little worried about this.
:-s

-Yos

You will be given the option to install

v1pz
November 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Guess its possible if you extract the files there and boot from usb :)