PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot problems

Fsmv
November 1st, 2009, 03:37 PM
I was trying to make my computer dual boot vista and ubuntu. I went through the installer then I started it partitioning my computer, but 2 hours later it still said 0% so I had to force quit the installer. Now all I get when I turn on my computer is a loop of the gateway splash screen. Also I really need to keep vista on there so I can't just make the whole thing ubuntu. If you didn't catch it earlyer I have a Gateway desktop and it had vista 64 bit and I was tring to dual boot with 32 bit Ububtu 9.04.

EDIT: I checked with the live CD I can view my files on the OS drive

sliketymo
November 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
Might find what your looking for here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=508927

Fsmv
November 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM
I can't get ms-sys to work :( is there another way?

sliketymo
November 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM
You will have to use your Vista CD to fix your Mbr,If that is possible.Are you able to boot the Live Ubuntu CD ?

Fsmv
November 2nd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Yes I can boot with a live cd

sliketymo
November 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Yes I can boot with a live cd

I am trying to ask does the Ubuntu live CD boot,and run.If it will not ,then you are not able to access the net to download from the repositories,correct?If the cd is not booting,and loading,it may corrupt.You will then have to use your Vista Cd to fix your Mbr,as per instructions in previose thread.

Fsmv
November 2nd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Yes I can run the live CD and access the net and install repositories. when I tried to install win-sys it just said it couldn't be found. Also vista was pre-installed so I do not have a cd.

sliketymo
November 2nd, 2009, 05:21 AM
You can get a vista recovery disk from here:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

It is an .iso,so you will have to somehow burn it to disk to use for recovery.I hope that helps.

Fsmv
November 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
I'll try that tomorrow now I'm gonna sleep.

Fsmv
November 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
Fixed the lbr but now it says c:\windows\system32\winload.exe has the status of 0xc000000d and that it is missing or corrupted but I found it so it must be corrupted. So I guess I have to find a serial for vista and re-install because that disk can't repair it.

Edit: Thanks for all the help. I'm just gonna back up the windows files with the ubuntu CD and reinstall vista.

sliketymo
November 3rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Fixed the lbr but now it says c:\windows\system32\winload.exe has the status of 0xc000000d and that it is missing or corrupted but I found it so it must be corrupted. So I guess I have to find a serial for vista and re-install because that disk can't repair it.

Edit: Thanks for all the help. I'm just gonna back up the windows files with the ubuntu CD and reinstall vista.

Your welcome bro.I don't have any ideas on the corrupt disc problem.I am glad you are able to get to your vista files though.