PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu on USB stick / flash drive - need to recompile something?

huckey
November 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi all,
I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on an USB stick / flash drive. That went more or less without any problem, I did it before with 9.04.

I performed the installation on my desktop but I want to use this USB stick on a laptop. I do not want to install Ubuntu on the USB stick on the laptop because this is one I do not want to mess up and I still do not feel comfortable with the GRUB installation :-)

Of course, having plugged in the USB stick to the laptop I get the Ubuntu to work but out of academic interest I want to ask a question.

I assume (maybe wrongly) that when I install Ubuntu on the USB stick plugged to my desktop certain drivers and/or the kernel are compiled to fit to my hardware configuration on the desktop. If that is true then when I plug the USB stick into my laptop (which naturally has a different hardware configuration; eg. I have nVidia graphics on the desktop but Intel graphics on the laptop) then the settings which are perfect for the desktop may be suboptimal for the laptop. As I wrote above the whole thing works I just wonder if it perhaps could work even better.
Therefore my question: in the aforementioned situation, should I recompile/reinstal or change settings in something or is Ubuntu that intelligent that it will see the different hardware configuration and change needed settings automatically?

Best regards

Huckey