PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Place Menu - Disable Partitions / Volumes Display

RichLouth
November 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Hello all,

I have a few partitions that I add to fstab and mount to folders under my Home directory. This is where I want them to be displayed and the only place I want them to be displayed.

Unfortunately my partitions get listed under the places menu and I would like to tell Gnome somehow to stop displaying them. Gnome has been doing this in Ubuntu for a while but the reason why I bring it up now is because in 9.10 it is now doubling the entries in the list. Now it seems to be showing both the partitions it has detected and the mount points declared in fstab. But I would really like it to not display any of my partitions under the Places menu.

I've googled around and the only suggestion was to edit:

~/.gtk-bookmarks

But this only contains entries for bookmarks and not partitions. It only listed the default folders:

Downloads, Music, etc

which I've already deleted.

Come to think of it the only thing I ever find useful under Places is the Computer icon so I may as well remove Places from the menu. I'd still like to know if it's possible though and any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

cmcanulty
November 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have had lots of trouble trying to put an fstab entry for my ext drives any help would be appreciated. i also would like file system under places but no luck,

Trezker
November 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Bump.

I'd like to know how to do this too. Though my problem is not exactly the same I suspect the solution can help me.

In my case I'd like to not have CD/DVD listed under places because when one is mounted it spins up when I open the menu which makes the menu take an annoying amount of time to display.