PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fresh install 9.10 from disk

kennethtb
November 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM
Going back to 9.04 - I downloaded a new CD - made a fresh install (I use full disk option) to try 9.10 but I have had everything from a clicking sound (never before heard) coming from deep within my computer (HP Laptop 2gb memory) to problems with Firefox - missing options such as clear private data plus one freeze up so far.
Also VLC player does not work with DVDS, Bleachbit froze half way through requiring a shutdown and although this version flows smooother it also feels unstable. I guess I will wait a few months for the problems to iron out.

ikt
November 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
Going back to 9.04 - I downloaded a new CD - made a fresh install (I use full disk option) to try 9.10 but I have had everything from a clicking sound (never before heard) coming from deep within my computer (HP Laptop 2gb memory) to problems with Firefox - missing options such as clear private data plus one freeze up so far.
Also VLC player does not work with DVDS, Bleachbit froze half way through requiring a shutdown and although this version flows smooother it also feels unstable. I guess I will wait a few months for the problems to iron out.

Were you able to report the bugs before you went back?

Andrew.Z
November 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Bleachbit froze half way through requiring a shutdown

Did you enable all the options? If you enable 'wipe free disk space,' it can easily take 15 minutes or much more to finish! That option really is very slow by its nature (not a bug).

If that does not help, install the latest BleachBit (http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net) (currently version 0.7.0) from the .debs at the home page. Ubuntu 9.04 has an ancient version 0.3.1, and Ubuntu 9.10's version is somewhat old (BleachBit 0.6.3).

If that does not help either, then try to isolate the problem to a single option.