PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 install problem

easygrip
November 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
I am having problems installing 9.10, it boots fine from the live cd but after install get message error: no such device: 7cad0fc4-e15b-4d08-b9c6-d7f01469dc50 previously had linux mint installed with no problems. I am brand new to linux

PorkyPie
November 1st, 2009, 12:12 PM
Try re-installing ubuntu.

easygrip
November 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM
have tried reinstalling several times, no help. downloaded 9.10 again, new install disk, same result. reinstalled linux mint, no problems.

PorkyPie
November 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Odd... What are the specs of your system?

easygrip
November 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Shuttle AK31 motherboard AMD athlon 1.7 processor, ATI radeon 9600, 1 gig ram, turtle beach santa cruz sound card

Unchqua
November 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Wild guess: aren't you using any RAID configuration either software (BIOS) or hardware (motherboard embedded)? If so, try to disable everything RAID-related, it may be that during installation a system remembers one drive identities while after booting into already installed OS it can't find them due to another way of reading hardware configuration.

exiter
November 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Unplugging the drives don't help :(
I'll try turning it off in the BIOS.
I have an older IDE raid setup...

I have been at this all night...

:popcorn:

emacdonald
November 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Not sure if your problem is exactly the same as I had, but I spent quite a a while on this one, then I found the bug listed in the link below.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/459054 is the bug in question!

My work around was, while running under the live CD, to go into Synaptic, search for "dmraid" remove it completely, then do the install by selecting the desktop icon.

As soon as I removed dmraid, everything installed correctly Gparted worked ok etc.

I have now managed to get everything that I need installed, and I do not have any further problems with sata drives since. Been running the pc for 10 Hours now.

dmraid is not installed during the full install routine.

easygrip
November 1st, 2009, 11:35 PM
Removed dmraid in synaptic when running live cd then reinstalled 9.10 still same error. checked for raid enabled in bios, no raid enabled.

axel_2078
November 2nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
I am having problems installing 9.10, it boots fine from the live cd but after install get message error: no such device: 7cad0fc4-e15b-4d08-b9c6-d7f01469dc50 previously had linux mint installed with no problems. I am brand new to linux

This is EXACTLY the same problem that I've been having. I tried various fixes and work-arounds that I found in the forum for two straight days. Nothing worked. I reinstalled 9.04, installed all the updates, and then upgraded to 9.10 via update manager. It worked just fine and now grub actually boots the OS after it's restarted. I'm having a slight problem finding a driver for my particular ati chipset, but everything else seems to work.

easygrip
November 2nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
Thank you all for your help, I will try reinstalling 9.04 then upgrading

Don1500
November 2nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
I had this problem, too. I finally had to do a COMPLETE fresh install. I was just re-formating the /root partition and not the /home partition. Got the Grub error - No such Drive. Formatted both and it worked. I did save everything I wanted from the /home partition first so I haven't lost anything, but it was a pain.

japboy
November 5th, 2009, 03:33 AM
same problem here.

i finally formatted almost all of my partitions and unplugged one of my hard drives. fortunately, i had done backup of home directory before fresh installation. dmraid still detects an wrong fakeRAID array. my motherboard is Intel DP35DP and it supports Silicon Image fakeRAID btw. of course i've already turned it off from bios settings.

do i still have to install 9.04 then upgrade it to 9.10 to fix this issue? im just tired tons of trying installation :(

debayanm
November 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM
hi all,

I have a dell inspiron 1525, quite new, 2 GB ram 160 GB HDD, core 2 due T 5750 processor, 2 MB Cache, etc etc

I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 desktop version and ubuntu 9.10 netbook version..They are in ISO version..but when i am running them using DAEMON tools lite, and restarting system, they UBUNTU is just showing a small logo and after that , system is going black..

Plz help..