PDA

View Full Version : Major instability in programs on 9.10

Pasdar
November 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM
I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. I ended up with no videocard drivers and no sound... fixed that in terminal, not a biggy... there was no improvements and system was slower than usual, so i decided to a fresh install of Kubuntu.

Problem 1: Keyboard doesn't work in boot menu. Hence, it automatically started to load liveCD.

Problem 2: It took maybe 10 minutes to have a fully loaded Kubuntu.

Problem 3: System reacted extremely slowly in LiveCD. By clicking one button and waiting 1 minute per click, I managed to install it from LiveCD.

The system is fast and installed well. But now:

Problem 4: The system is instable. I'm experiencing crashes left and right. No major things, but its annoying to say the least.

Conclusion/Advice: If you have installed beta's/RC's before and don't mind problems, then go right ahead and install this one too. But If you don't appreciate any instability, then wait until they fix these problems.

purgatori
November 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
My list:

Maximum resolution stuck at 1280x1024, despite monitor being capable of 1600x1200.
PSPP crashes as soon as data is loaded or entered.
Cmus crashes whenever a song is paused/unpaused.
Flash elements/interfaces don't always respond to mouse clicks in the web browser.
GDM was incredibly slow, and I had to replace it with XDM.

There were other problems, but I have mostly found workarounds for them. I have certainly encountered more problems with 9.10 than any previous version of Ubuntu.

PS: I'm not complaining, especially since I performed an upgrade rather than a clean install, just making a note of the issues I have run into.

@ntonius
November 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
It is always best to provide info about the specs of your systems. Otherwise it has no meaning. You can help by providing these and exchange information with others that have similar systems and specs.You also increase the possibility of someone helping you by providing more info.

Pasdar
November 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM
It is always best to provide info about the specs of your systems. Otherwise it has no meaning. You can help by providing these and exchange information with others that have similar systems and specs.You also increase the possibility of someone helping you by providing more info.

I don't need anyones help and my system specifications will do you no good either. The operating system has issues and they need to be solved.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
I don't need anyones help and my system specifications will do you no good either. The operating system has issues and they need to be solved.
Great, so what are the errors specifically or you don't know? Yeah system specifications are very important to finding out problems. The OS has no (NONE) issues with my hardware. So obviously there is something different between your pc and my pc. It's the same OS, so the difference must be the hardware. Just because there isn't anything wrong with your hardware, doesn't mean it's not important to know for troubleshooting.

@ntonius
November 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
great, so what are the errors specifically or you don't know? Yeah system specifications are very important to finding out problems. The os has no (none) issues with my hardware. So obviously there is something different between your pc and my pc. It's the same os, so the difference must be the hardware. Just because there isn't anything wrong with your hardware, doesn't mean it's not important to know for troubleshooting.

+1

praveesh
November 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM
Did any of you file a bug report ?

3rdalbum
November 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
It's all very well to say "Ubuntu has issues that need to be solved", but unless you give some information to the developers they are not going to know anything about your issues nor be able to fix them.

Don't be lazy! Run Memtest overnight, turn off any overclocking and if problems persist submit a bug report.

Pasdar
November 1st, 2009, 12:01 PM
Its not the hardware okay? Many people are reporting major issues since the release. More than I have seen after any Ubuntu release. I'll report bugs next time I get crashes.

purgatori
November 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM

I already posted a help request regarding the resolution problem. As for bug reports, well, for all but the PSPP issue, I believe bug reports were filed during the 9.10's testing phase.

Swagman
November 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Its not the hardware okay? Many people are reporting major issues since the release. More than I have seen after any Ubuntu release. I'll report bugs next time I get crashes.

That's a sure fire sign that our userbase has increased dramatically.

adalal
November 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasdar View Post

That's a sure fire sign that our userbase has increased dramatically.
Haha, +1

Pasdar, how is it that you have a problem, while I'm running a server pc and a desktop one with almost no problems? Yeah, there will be a few problems along the way, but that's the only way a os can improve. There has to be something different between your computer and mine, and it's also probably a hardware difference. The only way one can help you is to know what your system specs are, because there are updates which can cause incompatibility with particular hardwares, and these are to be reported as regressions. So, either you can help yourself by letting your specs known and get it reported, or you can just wait and hope someone else with the same problem is willing to do this work for you.

K.Mandla
November 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
Oh thank you, that was funny.

File a bug report. Get involved.

Pasdar
November 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
keep on dreaming noobs... :popcorn:

joey-elijah
November 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I hate the fact grub only responds to my keyboard on every 2nd boot. So if i reboot to go into Windows 7 i have to wait until it get's to the grub menu then reboot again before i can actually select an OS.

=o \

NCLI
November 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm doing some statistics on how many issues there is with the initial installation of Ubuntu, and so far, Karmic is on par with Intrepid Ibex's lifetime average when it comes to installation issues. Karmic is not especially problematic.

Uncle Spellbinder
November 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Not one issue at all for me. Karmic has NO issues. I've also installed it it on an old Pentium 4 system I've not used in over 6 years. Karmic is just fine!

Regenweald
November 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM

Why not try a fresh install ? I'm flawless here. Went through karmic testing then up to final yesterday.

In my opinion, not for you but for users in general, if you're not the technical type and you are just someone who need a good working linux distro, Updates should be done yearly, ignoring the *10 releases. So LTS>>*04>>LTS. Especially with Karmic, as even though IMO it's stable, there is a *lot* of new tech in here that is going to be polished and perfected for Lucid.

I'm going to Lucid testing, but for regular folks, unless there is some new mission critical feature in the 6 month releases that you absolutely need, stick to the LTS's and maybe a yearly update in between.
This is my solitary opinion, not some mandate that i think everyone should follow...