PDA

View Full Version : Eurosport on Ubuntu

GreenDance
November 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Hi, I would like to watch Eurosport Player (http://video.eurosport.co.uk/eurosport-player/subscription.shtml) on Ubuntu 9.10, but the player doesn't load, I've tried installing VLC but the Eurosport Player still wont load,

Pasdar
November 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM
It loads for me... have you installed the restricted extras and w32codecs?

GreenDance
November 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
It loads for me... have you installed the restricted extras and w32codecs?

no, how do i install them please?

speedwell68
November 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
no, how do i install them please?

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

and

sudo apt-get install w32codecs

Pasdar
November 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM
w32codecs are not in the Ubuntu repositories (legal reasons). Install the package, "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and follow the following steps for w32codecs:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-mplayer-and-multimedia-codecs-libdvdcss2w32codecsw64codecs-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html

speedwell68
November 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
w32codecs are not in the Ubuntu repositories (legal reasons). Install the package, "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and follow the following steps for w32codecs:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-mplayer-and-multimedia-codecs-libdvdcss2w32codecsw64codecs-in-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html

Good point I forgot that I had to add the medibuntu repository.

GreenDance
November 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Strange, it still isn't working for me

GreenDance
November 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM
I would really like to watch eurosport :)

*bump*

Pasdar
November 1st, 2009, 11:25 PM
I would really like to watch eurosport :)

*bump*

How about you type the following commands in terminal:

sudo apt-get remove kaffeine-mozilla mozilla-helix-player mozilla-mplayer mozilla-plugin-vlc totem-mozilla xine-plugin

In Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer

or Kubuntu:

sudo apt-get install kmplayer gecko-mediaplayer

You should close/restart your browser.

GreenDance
November 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
How about you type the following commands in terminal:

sudo apt-get remove kaffeine-mozilla mozilla-helix-player mozilla-mplayer mozilla-plugin-vlc totem-mozilla xine-plugin

In Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer

or Kubuntu:

sudo apt-get install kmplayer gecko-mediaplayer

You should close/restart your browser.

Hi, I've followed the steps, now when I go to the eurosport website firefox crashes :(

Pasdar
November 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi, I've followed the steps, now when I go to the eurosport website firefox crashes :(
Yesterday I tried it in Chromium, but now I tried it in firefox to see... and that crashes for me to. Do you have any other browsers? Either way, you can undo what you did by uninstalling,

sudo apt-get remove gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer

And how about you only try VLC and its plugin:

sudo apt-get install vlc mozilla-plugin-vlc

btw if these codes are confusing to you or whatever you can also install the packages via synaptic installer... whichever is easier for you... commands are just easier because your can install/uninstall many things together...

GreenDance
November 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Yesterday I tried it in Chromium, but now I tried it in firefox to see... and that crashes for me to. Do you have any other browsers? Either way, you can undo what you did by uninstalling,

sudo apt-get remove gnome-mplayer gecko-mediaplayer

And how about you only try VLC and its plugin:

sudo apt-get install vlc mozilla-plugin-vlc

btw if these codes are confusing to you or whatever you can also install the packages via synaptic installer... whichever is easier for you... commands are just easier because your can install/uninstall many things together...

hi, i'm running on a fresh install of U9.10, I've installed VLC & it's plugin and still the eurosport player isn't working.

Pasdar
November 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
hi, i'm running on a fresh install of U9.10, I've installed VLC & it's plugin and still the eurosport player isn't working.
very strange, did you again install the w32codecs and the ubuntu restricted extras?

GreenDance
November 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
very strange, did you again install the w32codecs and the ubuntu restricted extras?

command line says their already installed

Pasdar
November 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Could you give me a link again to a video.. the link in your first post is not available... you could also right click, check source of the page to grab a direct link to the video and play that in VLC, that always works.

GreenDance
November 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
I've reinstalled Ubuntu 9.10, and VLC, the URL from the eurosport website, mms://vodstream.eurosport.com/nogeo/test/test.wmv works in VLC, the default player on firefox seems to be totem, maybe their is a bug somewhere?

GreenDance
November 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I've spent an hour fiddling around with settings and still doesn't work through firefox, so plugins for firefox must be buggy

GreenDance
November 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions please?

elqbenzo
March 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM
solution: you have to "spoof" = change the User-Agent header your browser uses from "Mozilla" to "Internet Explorer 6"; worked for me (this is because JavaScript code on the Eurosport pages check the browser string and refuses to work with Mozillas)

Swagman
March 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I'm using a raw live usb of 64 bit Lucid with restricted extras and flash installed and your link works perfectly (apart from no sound but that's a known lucid bug(dummy output))

The prefs in Firefox have not been altered in any way so you certainly don't need to spoof any other browser.

ScreenGrab ( http://www.upload3r.com/serve/290310/1269858382.png)

scouser73
March 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I'm using a raw live usb of 64 bit Lucid with restricted extras and flash installed and your link works perfectly (apart from no sound but that's a known lucid bug(dummy output))

The prefs in Firefox have not been altered in any way so you certainly don't need to spoof any other browser.

ScreenGrab ( http://www.upload3r.com/serve/290310/1269858382.png)

I've just looked on the Eurosport website, and the volume is automatically set to mute, but can be turned up by the viewer.

Dagama
May 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
If, for some reason, you can't get the plugin to work, you can find the stream itself in the page source:

Log in to the Eurosport player site, and go to some channel. Set the resolution you want.
View the page source, and search for the term: objectPlayer+='<param name="URL" value="
Copy the part between the " ". It is fairly long, and the start should look something like: mms://livestream-player.eurosport.com/nogeo/console......
Stream through a media player

If you want to start it through the terminal you need to change the part with _! to _\!

Translated from http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/1126840

Tricast
May 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I found this tutorial and script for opening eurosport player mms streams in your preferred video player, http://www.m0sand.com/henningms/?p=58.

With some simple modifications like adding a wildcard and changing location (.com to .se), i now with a single extra mouse click can open all streams (live and archive) with my beloved vlc player.

See added screenshot where new link appears.