PDA

View Full Version : Dead graphics card? (NVIDIA)

Nerd King
November 1st, 2009, 09:02 AM
I get the feeling this is a dead gfx card but thought I'd check to see other's views. I'm on an NVIDIA 250GTS, and it's not even getting to a bios beep. Powers on, GPU fans go Fast-Slow-Fast-Slow-Fast-Slow at regular intervals. Anyone reckon it can be rescued or is this my 2nd dead NVIDIA chip in a year?

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
I'd check your RAM first.

djsroknrol
November 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
You might try the card in another slot....

Skripka
November 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
You might try the card in another slot....

Or plug the card into another tower to see if it works.

whoop
November 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I get the feeling this is a dead gfx card but thought I'd check to see other's views. I'm on an NVIDIA 250GTS, and it's not even getting to a bios beep. Powers on, GPU fans go Fast-Slow-Fast-Slow-Fast-Slow at regular intervals. Anyone reckon it can be rescued or is this my 2nd dead NVIDIA chip in a year?

This not getting a BIOS beep is accompanied by nothing on screen at all, I presume?

Nerd King
November 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Only got one slot and no spare computer to plug into sadly. Lack of Bios beeps is accompanied by blank screen, it's not posting. Before death, usually the NVIDIA message would come up first before bios-type stuff.

pwnst*r
November 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
hm i have a GTX285 and i don't get an nvidia mssg pre or post boot.

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Only got one slot and no spare computer to plug into sadly. Lack of Bios beeps is accompanied by blank screen, it's not posting. Before death, usually the NVIDIA message would come up first before bios-type stuff.

What message? Before BIOS? How?

Nerd King
November 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM
It's a HP machine, so the NVIDIA 250 message comes up, then the blue hp screen comes up (which is hiding all the bios stuff).

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Oh. Have you got a integrated/spare video card which you could try to use to see if you can get any screen?

Nerd King
November 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Oh. Have you got a integrated/spare video card which you could try to use to see if you can get any screen?
To be honest it's the route I'm probably going to go down, as it's cheap enough to pick up an el-cheapo graphics card and at least it gives me a functioning computer. Thankfully I've got a laptop so I'm not completely screwed, but it's annoying. As it is it's only got to last another 6 months so maybe I'll pick up another cheap NVIDIA (average lifespan 6 months grrr).

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
To be honest it's the route I'm probably going to go down, as it's cheap enough to pick up an el-cheapo graphics card and at least it gives me a functioning computer. Thankfully I've got a laptop so I'm not completely screwed, but it's annoying. As it is it's only got to last another 6 months so maybe I'll pick up another cheap NVIDIA (average lifespan 6 months grrr).

Mine always last.. Are you overclocking by any chance?

Nerd King
November 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Mine always last.. Are you overclocking by any chance?
Not even slightly. Running in a very hot country and with very dodgy Thai electricity (running through a UPS) though which probably makes some difference.