PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic Koala Installation Problems

Arkitekt
November 1st, 2009, 06:36 AM
So after spending all day trying to get 9.10 installed on my other laptop I am still no where father than I was this morning.

I have successfully made bootable 9.10 USB keys using usb-creator within 9.04 UNR. When I went to install from USB key it tries to load up the installation and then I get a flashing screen of pink and purple. I tried both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

I eventually tried to load up a usb key of 9.04 and ended up with pretty much the same result, except this time it was an Orange flashing screen.

I tried loading into Ubuntu 9.10 live but got a aufs mount error that I didn't understand.

When trying to load up Ubuntu 9.04 live I just get to a ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ that I don't know what to do with. I haven't had any trouble in the past when trying to install Ubuntu, infact the UNR installation on my netbook was simple and everything but sound worked out of box.

The laptop I am trying to install this on is a HP DV9231CA, with a T5600 Core 2 and Nvidia Go 7600 graphics chip. I have Windows 7 already installed on the laptop and want to dual boot (my netbook is UNR/W7 dual booted). Perhaps there is something incompatible with my laptop and Ubuntu? is there anyway around this flashing screen to install ubuntu? The flashing screen along with the prompt instead of a graphical desktop when trying to load it live leads me to believe there is an incompatibility with Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 and my nvidia go 7600, unfortunately I don't know where to begin to try and work around this.. if it is even possible.

Arkitekt
November 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
^bump

I should add also that the laptop I am trying to install this on has a broken screen and I have an external monitor connected to it to see the screen. Would this be causing any issues during installation?

Arkitekt
November 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Also, I just typed startx at the prompt when trying to load it live, I got the ubuntu sound but the screen just flashes orange and teal. starting to get frustrated :( really want to get this installed

Starting to think it really is the external monitor, I have about an inch of visible screen left on the laptop screen and in it I can see the ubuntu symbol in the upper left corner with the bar and the orange background.
?
Anyone have any suggestion on how to install via external monitor? It is a samsung syncmaster 570v

Arkitekt
November 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
^Bump

Could really use some help with this