PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Couple of questions re 9.10 upgrade

EvansFive
November 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM
I have a Dell PC with dual boot Vista 64 (soon to be Windows 7 64) and Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit. I have only ever used Ubuntu 9.04 and so have NOT been through any upgrades before! Both Vista and Ubuntu 9.04 are up to date with all updates.

I have down loaded the ubuntu-9.10-alternate-amd64.iso image from our ISP's FTP site (free download) and was planning to use this to do the bulk of the upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10...rather than trying to load directly via network in our ISP's off-peak time zone! Then use the network connection to pick up fixes and updates to already installed packages.

I want to do an upgrade so I do not have to install all the various packages etc that I have currently got set up under 9.04.

So am trying to read and check out as much as possible before doing the upgrade and so I have a couple of questions that you may be able to help me with.

1) Does the ubuntu-9.10-alternate-amd64.iso image get updated over time as bugs are fixed...OR...is it set for the life of 9.10? I ask this because if I wait a little while before doing the upgrade will I need to download another version of this image?

2) I currently use GRUB 0.97...as part of the upgrade process will it continue to use GRUB 0.97 or will it install GRUB2?

3) If I am given the option to move to GRUB2, is this the best way to go or stay with GRUB? I definitely do not want to lose the ability to boot up Vista/Windows as well as Ubuntu?

4) If I should go down the GRUB2 path, should I complete the Vista 64 to Windows 7 upgrade first before doing the Ubuntu 9.10 update...OR...does it not really matter?

5) Are there any GRUB type things I should do before the upgrade to reduce the incidence of problems?

I would really appreciate your assistance as I learn more about the Ubuntu world!

Thanks!

Keith!
November 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM
The grub configuration file may not be updated, mine was still using the Jaunty kernel.