PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't update or report bugs

tacantara
November 1st, 2009, 05:22 AM
After an upgrade turned my machine into a mess, I did a fresh reinstall of 9.04 and ran the upgrade to 9.10 again. The upgrade process went relatively smoothly, and I had wireless upon reboot (one of the problems I had the first time was missing wifi capability). However, now there's a new set of problems:

The error reporting feature is broken
I can't apt-get or download packages from Synaptic. This is a big problem, as this update removed things like ubuntu-restricted-extras. So much for going to websites that utilize Flash, or playing audio files. This error also extends to the "Ubuntu Software Center." And, yes, my internet connection is working just fine.

These are the problems I've discovered so far. I'd file a bug report, but with the amount of info they need to troubleshoot, I don't have enough for them to work with. If I can't figure it out, I may just revert to 9.04....or try out this Fedora 11 disk that came in a Linux magazine. Options :)

cariboo
November 1st, 2009, 05:52 AM
Bug reporting has changed, To report a bug press Alt-F2 and type:

ubuntu-bug <packagename>

As far as not being able to download updates, check your dns by opening a terminal and typing:

ping 74.125.95.105

If that works, then type:

ping www.google.com

If the second command doesn't work, edit your connection in Network-Manager to set dns manually.

tacantara
November 3rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
I reinstalled 9.04, downloaded all updates, then downloaded the 9.10 upgrade. Upon reboot, the wireless was still working. I checked Synaptic and the Software Center, and both worked when I downloaded packages this time.

acreech
November 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
I just updated from 9.04 to 9.10 with the update manager. I am on a 64 bit system. Everything seems to be working well, except the synaptic package manager crashes when I attempt to install a program. The Software Center works fine.

I tried the ping and they both seemed to work fine. I have not found a solution yet to the synaptic package manager crashing.