PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 Questions

Gormanilius
November 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM
Around 2 months ago I purchased a netbook(Acer Aspire One) and it has windows xp pre-installed.
I have considered putting the new Ubuntu Remix onto it(I dont know how without a cd drive, but can figure it out on my own), but I was wondering if there was anything that doesnt work, such as the built-in webcam recording or sound recording.

I feel the reason for switching is simple, I support free software. I cant even get microsoft office on the thing, so I use open office.

I am not the biggest xp fan, but I do see it's occasional merits. For now, I am considering having a maching that can dual boot, if possible. But would love to just go ubuntu all the way.

sickly
November 1st, 2009, 05:46 AM
On my aspire one I first tried 9.04, I forget what wasnt working but there were a few things. But when I went to 9.10 there wasnt one thing that didnt work rite after the install.

Gormanilius
November 1st, 2009, 06:19 AM
No issues?
Hmmm. I might go on and do this then.
Do you notice any lag in the webcam recording? I used to use Cheese, when I had the OS on my desktop, and it seemed to lag that external cam for some odd reason. Perhaps that might just be a setting issue?

Arkitekt
November 1st, 2009, 07:06 AM
I have a netbook as well, a HP Mini. To find out if there are any known issues look here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

I use either usb-creator or Unetbootin to create Ubuntu Live USB sticks. Unetbootin allows you to download the distro from within the program, usb-creator needs you to already have the .iso downloaded and on your machine. Unetbootin has a windows port, and there is also live uSbuntu creator for windows.

skumrask
November 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM
On my aspire one I first tried 9.04, I forget what wasnt working but there were a few things. But when I went to 9.10 there wasnt one thing that didnt work rite after the install.

Not even the SD-card slots? So far that's the only issue I have on my aa1. Downsides compared to Linpus (which was preinstalled on mine) imho is more fan noise, slower startup and significantly less battery time.

Otherwise it's a beautiful system, Karmic. It's definitely staying on my Aspire One.

(Btw. I used the USB-creator on the live cd to make my bootable USB-stick. Couldnīt get it right any other way. A bit of a hassle having to burn a disc, but worked like a charm.)

Gormanilius
November 1st, 2009, 05:38 PM
@Skumrusk how long is the batterlife? I had windows xp, and it is 3 hours most times. And really quiet, only gets loud if it is doing alot more than normal.

I had heard of the sd card issue, but that is not of vital importance to me. Sucks, but just not the biggest deal. Im sure that will get worked out eventually.