PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Mifi 2200 ROCKS!

steveneddy
November 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM
I purchased today a Mifi 2200 (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi) from the local Verizon store.

I must say that it is truly one of the coolest tech gadgets I have ever owned lately.

The only caveat is that you must have access to a native install of Windows (XP, Vista, 2000) to get the device to activate initially. The software for activation is loaded on the device and no CD is necessary.

After I finally got it activated, I fired up my virtual machine running Vista and was able to connect to the device and the internet via the supplied USB tether. I turned off the wireless connection of the Ubuntu host and actually had an internet connection in the virtual machine and not the host machine via the wired connection.

But the coolest aspect of this wonderful device is that once activated it is a small, credit card sized wireless router that fits in your pocket or any other small storage area of your briefcase or backpack.

It is reasonably fast and connects instantly to the 3G network. I can turn on the Mifi, fire up the laptop and be online wirelessly as soon as the PC boots.

I am looking forward to taking this little device on the road with me and trying it out across the US.

Administration is very easy, just like the Linksys router at home, by typing in the familiar address 192.168.1.1 and entering the password. The interface is close to the Linksys router and one should be able to navigate effortlessly.

I also understand that the embedded OS running this little jewel is a Linux variant. At this time I don't know what version of Linux is inside this thing but it runs perfectly.

pwnst*r
November 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
so are you having to pay for an additional plan just for that device to access 3G?

steveneddy
November 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
so are you having to pay for an additional plan just for that device to access 3G?

Yeah - I suppose I am.

But I live and work on the road well over 300 days a year and internet access sometimes can be spotty. I don't always stop or stay in a major large town or city that would be guaranteed an internet connection somewhere.

With internet access through my Sprint phone and the new Mifi as my main internet connection point I am assured at least 98% internet access anywhere I stop in the lower 48. An upside to this is that more and more small town have a hotel or motel that have Wifi on premises and that helps save the limited bandwidth cap on both of my internet devices, but then again, I can't totally rely on that as a constant. I have been to small town with half a dozen places that offered internet for free but the entire town used one provider and they were down for the weekend. So what do you do? Drive 100 miles for an internet connection so you can get some work done? Nope, just fire up the Mifi or cell phone.

Internet access is paramount to my job performance and I rely on information I get from the internet to perform my job without wasting inordinate amounts of time just getting something as simple as directions or as complex as DLing an invoice or special permit to present instead of waiting hours or even days sometimes for this information to arrive via snail mail or courier.

So, yes, I pay for what seems an expensive device for something as simple as internet access, but really, simply being able to turn it on and connect through Wifi is a time saver, and I could share my connection with four others if need be with a few simple clicks, and did I mention that it's so darn cool?

I believe that these little devices will become commonplace in the near future OR we will all purchase laptops with these devices embedded in them already.

SomeGuyDude
November 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Warning: I've been told you have a limit of how much data you can transfer. So if you plan on YouTubing or torrenting or anything of that nature you're going to be hit in the face with a stoppage.

steveneddy
November 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Warning: I've been told you have a limit of how much data you can transfer. So if you plan on YouTubing or torrenting or anything of that nature you're going to be hit in the face with a stoppage.

It's a 5 Gig limit. I was told that if you do go over your set limits that they simply charge you a small amount per mb any additional data.

I don't upload YouTube or other pics unless I happen to get a free internet connection, then I use the crap out of it, saving my limits on both devices for actual work data transfer.

steveneddy
November 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
In Sadalia, Mo I was getting 235 kb/sec download speeds.

The truck stop free internet (better than nothing, and it's free) would only produce a maximum of 35 kb/sec.

I'll be somewhere in OK tonight and I'll post a test from there.

So far though it's a LOT faster than using my phone as a modem and it connected in less than one second to the internet after turning it on.

I wonder what flavor Linux OS is under the hood of this small wonder?

steveneddy
November 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Dude - I increased my tech/toy habit by adding Sirius Satellite Radio to the mix.

I think I need therapy.

gletob
November 9th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Dude - I increased my tech/toy habit by adding Sirius Satellite Radio to the mix.

I think I need therapy.

You might.

Don't you just love verizon's 3G service? It's the best.

steveneddy
November 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM
You might.

Don't you just love verizon's 3G service? It's the best.

It's the best!

If the good service continues I will move my cell phone service from Sprint to Verizon when the contract expires.

BTW - I get internet service literally in the middle of nowhere. I have not been happier since purchasing the Mifi device.

dineen5214
November 23rd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Okay, It does ROCK along with Ubuntu 9.10 for me ;)

After Ubuntu 9.10 was working fine using my WiFi hotspots at home (Thanks to help from this forum ubuntuforums.org (http://ubuntuforums.org)), the only Verizon-MiFi 2200 edit for me is: use the LAN->secure: 'AES', and not the default: 'TKIP'.

Say, I'm so impressed with 'Ubuntu 9.10' Netbook Remix - the download of the bits and install was turn-key, no problem! It replaced the Windows 7.

Why MiFi ?
I have: HP Mini 110, a number of WiFis at home (kids, wife, my private). But wanted a sierra aircard for the Ubuntu with VPN working.. GSM 3G AT&T or VeriZon.. whatever works..

So given the talk on-ine about the network manager issues and some good program resolutions for the Sierra cards, I decided on the MiFi 2200 thinking USB/Sierra might be issues.

I purchased today the MiFi2200, that is, after reading your update and also PCMIKE.com, and gOOgling (http://www.google.com).
For those thinking of getting a new Sierra 881 card from AT&T - STOP !! because I realized that the sierra cards 881 are going unsupported end of 10' year -- which means open-source for Linux will stop from Sierra for this card, My guess.

I spent many a moment trying to figure out which card for broadband is best with Ubuntu 9.10 on Netbook 110 from HP. After a few days of goggling. Today, I made a number of calls to AT&T tech support - the new "USB Sierra LIGHTING" came out recently but No-one knows what Sierra model it is compatible to (maybe the Mercury - 881 or whatever backward compatible -- no one could say, not GOOGLE (yea Google had 2 links of sales stuff on Lighting).

But, the pay plans are better with Verizon has 300MB per month vs 200MB AT&T at the normal 35Plus cost/month. So, besides the MB rates, I'm confused as to what USB card to get for Ubuntu 9.10 and the Netbook...

What about the connection besides the pay-plans ? My choice is - 1. something that works with Ubuntu 9.10 and then then 2. consistent connection from the ISP (As I write this up, I'm doing a script to cause echo's on a remote unix system using a sleep 5 minutes, then run 'date' command -- should cause the session to stay active.. but the Terminal on Ubuntu locked up (I've seen this before even on my work laptop).. so to be determined. but the good news is.. I then create a new Terminal session and simply type ssh into the remote unix server (At last no need to re-run the 'vpnc' connection.)

What about speed: I get avg less than 1.00 Mb/s down, an less than 0.35 Mb/s up, so says http://www.speedtest.net (http://speedtest.net) Though this means a 5 MB file would download in 1 min. Again, I don't really care, I'm only doing SSH client or light goggling, and not downloading video/songs. The feel of speed is great so far to me.

AT&T Lighting:
Technology changes all the time and the new AT&T USB/Connect Lighting came out.
Seems 3G and the new 7.2Mbps are driving new technology and it seems Ubuntu will be playing catch-up for the next few months.... yet another reason that the MiFi 2200 seems like the good choice for now.

Activation/Setup MiFi2200:
Say, The Ubuntu 9.10 WiFi on the HP Mini 110 1135NR connected to the MiFi 2200 works fine. I first tried setting the MiFi using Windows 7, but the setup error'ed with windows v7 bugs.. So switched to the MacOS all was configured fine. Well, don't use v7 to setup.

MiFI Router/Wifi DHCP:
BTW, I made good and changed the 'default' password on the MiFI, then a few a other options on the router (can I call it a router? The 192.168.1.1 was changed to 5.1, and works fine). The subnet, pass-word, channel 11 default, and the SSID were all changed. I'm going to make the SSID not to broadcast, and give it a try on my Netbook again. Going stealth mode in public..

Note: I had some WiFi connection issues with the default 'secure' setting in the LAN. I which it to 'WPA Person/PSK(AES)' and Ubuntu Wifi worked just fine. The default had: 'WPA Personal/PSK (TKIP)'.

THANKS TO: 'Linus Torvalds', and the "Ubuntu" team

To me, I'm having fun :) with Ubuntu 9.10 Remix on Netbook and MiFi.

steveneddy
November 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
I also like the fact that I can share the connection if I need to.

How do you like the HP Mini 110?

Rainstride
November 23rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
It's a 5 Gig limit. I was told that if you do go over your set limits that they simply charge you a small amount per mb any additional data.

I don't upload YouTube or other pics unless I happen to get a free internet connection, then I use the crap out of it, saving my limits on both devices for actual work data transfer.

they charge 5 cents per 1mb on top of your 150$ limit. so if you go over by say 4gb you will be paying somewhere around $350 usd(unless its your first month then make that $410). i know this because i have the usb stick version with the same plan and it went till it max'ed out at 9gb (4gb past my limit):evil:. that was a terrible day indeed.

Rainstride
November 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
I also like the fact that I can share the connection if I need to.

How do you like the HP Mini 110?

i assume they have an alright amount of wifi protection built in? (passwords, encryption, so on) so some one cant just connect up anytime your in range.

3rdalbum
November 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I love the idea of being "a walking wifi hotspot"!

steveneddy
November 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
i assume they have an alright amount of wifi protection built in? (passwords, encryption, so on) so some one cant just connect up anytime your in range.

It is as secure as an average home router, which basically it is, just real small.

steveneddy
November 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
I love the idea of being "a walking wifi hotspot"!

:popcorn:

Yeah - I agree

I sometimes have to share my connection with others I work with and they look at me like I'm crazy until they can hook up and get on the internet thru Wifi.

Rainstride
November 24th, 2009, 02:38 AM
It is as secure as an average home router, which basically it is, just real small.

nice, how is it powered anyway? do you recharge it like a cell phone?