PDA

View Full Version : can flash be made as good as windows with better videocard?

mamamia88
November 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
flash performs flawless in windows. i was wondering if i was to add a super awesome video card would it make up for the difference in flash performance? or am i doomed to have to boot into windows everytime i want to watch hulu halfway decent?

KinKiac
November 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
The problem with flash is on Adobe's end I think. Unfortunately I do not know what watching hulu on Ubuntu is like because the US censors us Canadians from it.

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM
Personally, I find Flash to be better on Linux. It's slow and sticky on Windows in comparison. Are you running the 64 bit OS by any chance? Also, are you sure your CPU isn't being scaled(Right click panel -> Add to panel -> CPU frequency scaler)? It's going to be the CPU you'll want to upgrade.

Xbehave
No, that is the problem, adobe dosen't make use of HW acceleration on linux very well (it does work relatively well with nivia cards, apparently)

HappyFeet
Am I the only person to NOT have issues with flash? Always worked well for me in linux. (64bit flash plugin)

What video card do you have?

mamamia88
November 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM
Personally, I find Flash to be better on Linux. It's slow and sticky on Windows in comparison. Are you running the 64 bit OS by any chance? Also, are you sure your CPU isn't being scaled(Right click panel -> Add to panel -> CPU frequency scaler)? It's going to be the CPU you'll want to upgrade. ok thanks for that. i am running 64 bit the thing is it won't even skip or pause in hulu. and playback is choppy.

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 03:54 AM
ok thanks for that. i am running 64 bit the thing is it won't even skip or pause in hulu. and playback is choppy.

Right, my hunch was correct - Now, do you have the 64 bit version installed? The version not from the repos, the one from the site? See the link in my sig for advice on how to install it.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
Flash runs perfectly on my laptop, but then I do have a super awesome video card (one mistake I'll never make again, my next laptop will be ultra portable...maybe even a netbook and I'll save the super computing for a desktop.

Edit: oh yes, listen to NoaHall. If you have 64bit the only way to go is to use the official flash plugin.

HappyFeet
November 1st, 2009, 04:01 AM
Just extract this (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.32.18.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz) file, and put it in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins

Of course, remove the old flash first.

mamamia88
November 1st, 2009, 04:10 AM
hey man thanks i followed your guide and now skipping works great. just by curiousity will ubuntu auto upgrade flash if a new version becomes available still?

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
hey man thanks i followed your guide and now skipping works great. just by curiousity will ubuntu auto upgrade flash if a new version becomes available still?
No. But you can manually install it again, if need be. A new version probably won't come out for a long time. The 64bit flash is still beta so it won't officially be supported by Ubuntu until it becomes a stable release. When that happens you should be able to install it directly through the ubuntu install process instead of manually.

mamamia88
November 1st, 2009, 04:15 AM
No. But you can manually install it again, if need be. A new version probably won't come out for a long time. The 64bit flash is still beta so it won't officially be supported by Ubuntu until it becomes a stable release. When that happens you should be able to install it directly through the ubuntu install process instead of manually.
ok thanks again this is going to make my life so much better

NoaHall
November 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
Keep a eye out here, no doubt someone will announce the update to the flash.

ElSlunko
November 1st, 2009, 04:25 AM
I have the gtx 260 and the Hulu desktop client. Works fantastic.